6 replies to this topic

#1 MiniTim71

MiniTim71

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

Hi, I want to convert from the pre 76 hydraulic brake light switch to the later brake pedal switch.

The hydraulic switch needs a firm brake pedal push before it comes on and with modern traffic I want the lights on quicker.

The switches are easily available.

But does anyone have a mounting bracket they could let me have?  Or point me in the direction of one for sale?

The part number is FAM4370   and can be seen in this Australian link  (no ones shipping abroad at the moment).

https://minikingdomo...al-box-uk-mini/

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

I made one on an old A40 using a mild steel sheet off-cut ...

#3 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:25 PM

Looking for the same thing... 

#4 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

If you get the correct FAM bracket you will need either to change the pedal box or modify your own pedal box to accept the bracket.

If you don't have a pedal box (that originally used the FAM bracket with) to reference it might be hard to get the holes in the correct place to suit the FAM bracket if you chose the latter course of action.

Might be easier to buy a complete pedal box on the bay of E (with the FAM bracket of course) or as mentioned by gazza82 make a simple bracket and then attach it wherever it needs to attach

I had to drill my pedal box use the FAM bracket because the pedal box on my car is slightly modified to fit the fibreglass shell - if I recall correctly there are two slots to be cut/drilled but I'd already bought a complete pedal box and intended to swap the whole lot (also to get a high crank brake pedal which the car didn't have originally) so I had to drill my pedal box and fit the high crank pedal to it but I could reference the OEM pedal box for correct slot/hole positions)

#5 kiwi topcat

kiwi topcat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:00 PM

just use an electrical micro switch with an arm (about 50mm long) and glue it in place adjustment is simple by bending the arm

works a treat and simple as.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:01 PM

Not sure if you're handy or know someone how is ?

I made a bracket recently that could be fitted quite easily with the pedal box in the car and there was no holes to drill. It's also adjustable so it's easy to position it for the switch you end up using.

It was made from one piece on metal, about 10 mm square which I milled a slot in, but could also have a slot made with a hacksaw, then filed with a wading file to make it wide enough. It needs to ba able to fit over the edge of the steel used in the pedal box, about 2.5 - 3 mm wide. In to the side of that, I drilled and tapped it for an M4 grub screw so that this piece of metal could be clamped on to the edge of the pedal box, then use the grub screw to clamp it on with. On to the side of this clamp, I welded an M12 flat washer as approx 90 degrees to the side opposite that of the grub screw. The Switch then mounts in the washer, then it's a simple matter of put it on the edge of the pedal box next to the brake pedal, sliding in to a position where the button on the switch is pressed in about 1/2 way and locking in in place with the grub screw.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

We made a custom bracket when converting mine, and it’s still working fine 2 years later:

https://www.theminif...c-post-76-type/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users