#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:09 AM

"Nearly three-quarters of drivers (72 per cent) would like to see the standard 70mph speed limit on motorways reduced in wet weather to improve road safety and encourage better driving habits, RAC research has found.
Of 2100 drivers surveyed, a third (33 per cent) said the limit should be reduced to 60mph in the wet, while seven per cent think it should be cut to 65mph. Seventeen per cent of drivers would like an even lower limit of 55mph or even 50mph, while 14 per cent would like to see the limit cut but aren’t sure by how much.
Official figures also show that wet roads and drivers travelling too fast for the conditions were respectively the cause of some 259 and 242 motorway collisions in 2018.
The RAC says France is currently the only European country to reduce speed limits during inclement weather, with the 130km/h (80mph) limit reduced to 110km/h (68mph)."
https://www.honestjo...in-wet-weather/

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:25 AM

I think its the general standard of driving that causes accidents rather than speed. Tail gating, not indicating, not driving to the conditions (and I dont just mean the weather but national speed limit country lanes where you cant get above 30 safely), distracted by phones/hair/make up etc.

Maybe they should double the points for wet weather incidents. Speeding. Crashes etc?

And put more cops on the roads instead of cameras. So much bad driving appears to go unpunished.

#3 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

I wonder if they also asked if people would like to see an increased limit in dry conditions? 

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

Air quality speed limit trials are also taking place:-

https://highwaysengl...d-limit-trials/

#5 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

Air quality will be what drives speed limits down. As a driver that saddens me, as a father wanting the best for my kids futures that pleases me.

To encourage people into EVs, I wouldnt be surprised if ICE cars werent allowed to go as fast as EVs on motorways etc?..

#6 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

To encourage people into EVs, I wouldnt be surprised if ICE cars werent allowed to go as fast as EVs on motorways etc?..

Imagine the congestion it would cause, it's bad enough when you have two idiot lorry drivers stuck side by side at 56mph on a dual carriageway.

#7 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:08 AM

Imagine the congestion it would cause, it's bad enough when you have two idiot lorry drivers stuck side by side at 56mph on a dual carriageway.

Absolutely, itd be terrible.

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:12 PM

Think of the revenue generating opportunities.Steve..

#9 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:09 PM

7/10 wussies.
I do about 300 miles a day for my job these days, when it rains the 2 fast lanes are full of cars doing 60 while the slow lane only has a lorry every mile. People forget to keep left and forget how to drive. One of my pet hates.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:15 PM

What they probably mean is reduce the speed limits for everyone else so they can text ahead to say they will be early as the traffic is bunched up in lane one and they can make good progress now.Just jesting,Steve..

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:44 AM

Actually, reducing speeds also reduces congestion as it increases traffic density more. Of course, it's more complex than that - increasing traffic density in the wet wouldn't be great for starters.

Going faster takes exponentially more energy whatever you're driving, so it'd be something of a mixed message to allow EV drivers to save the planet faster.

#12 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:56 AM

Actually, reducing speeds also reduces congestion as it increases traffic density more. Of course, it's more complex than that - increasing traffic density in the wet wouldn't be great for starters.

To an extent, yes. But it was suggested that EV's only would be able to go faster, that wouldn't be any different than the lorries going slower and causing congestion. A blanket lower speed limit can help because everything is going the same speed.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 07:59 AM

I don't think I'd want to be sat in the back of a patrol car arguing with a traffic cop over the difference between drizzle & a light shower  :P

Surely we got this provision already, in a more practical way, when overhead gantry signs switched from advisory to enforceable limits?

Increased fines or points is an interesting idea though. Also, there's not that much point in reducing speeds if people continue to drive too close for the conditions.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:09 AM

To an extent, yes. But it was suggested that EV's only would be able to go faster, that wouldn't be any different than the lorries going slower and causing congestion. A blanket lower speed limit can help because everything is going the same speed.

Lorries don't cause congestion, it's cars trying to overtake lorries.

#15 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:11 AM

Lorries don't cause congestion, it's cars trying to overtake lorries.

Ok, if you say so.  O_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users