#16 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:41 AM

In my jaundiced view,any laws only apply to us largely law abiding proles.The baddies,entitled,famous,celebrities,politicians etc will largely continue to do as they please.OK some sweeping generalisations re types but I am sure you know the types.
On a wet motorway 1000 cars per hour of all types pass a point quite uneventfully until one impatient,entitled,late,distracted etc person causes an accident.It would not matter if the limit was 10mph he would have still caused it.
Regards above suggestions that EVs be allowed to go faster?Entitled?two tier?
Just a few caffeine induced ramblings,enjoy what motoring freedoms we have left,Steve.

#17 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:48 AM

Actually, reducing speeds also reduces congestion as it increases traffic density more. Of course, it's more complex than that - increasing traffic density in the wet wouldn't be great for starters.

To an extent, yes. But it was suggested that EV's only would be able to go faster, that wouldn't be any different than the lorries going slower and causing congestion. A blanket lower speed limit can help because everything is going the same speed.

Lorries don't cause congestion, it's cars trying to overtake lorries.

All vehicles cause congestion. Lorries are some of the worst. They take up 2 lanes to turn left, block traffic when unloading, block traffic when reversing into unloading bays. Block traffic when overtaking on dual carriage ways. Block traffic on country lanes. I may sound anti lorry, Im not. I worked most of my life working with lorries, but they are one of the worst.

On motorways, I could easily see the government make making the slow lane only to be used by ICE vehicles upto say 50mph. The other 2 lanes can be used by EV upto 70mph. I dont think thats is as unrealistic as the replies suggest. Sadly in fact I think thats a great way for them to lower speed limits (for most), reduce emissions and get people into EV.

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 10:26 AM

Ok, if you say so.  O_O

The faster you go the more road space you take up to maintain a safe stopping distance. If you weren't taking up more road space you'd never catch up with any  lorries to overtake them. The braking starts because the traffic already is congested, everybody is following at a minimum safe difference so can't  manoeuvre without 1st slowing to reduce the minimum safe stopping distance in order to create the space they need.

It's people who drive faster until all the gaps are reduced to a minimum who create congestion.

#19 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 11:33 AM

An interesting EV real life experience,search Guy Martin Grimsby to John o Groats,Steve..
So when us paupers with fossil fuelled cars are crawling in the lane 1(not slow lane)are EV owners going to cruise by looking derisoraly down at us?or sadly that we are a lower class?or hatefully that we are killing the planet?all whilst driving a car that has produced tonnes of pollution to make,will run on imported electric and at end of life will need serious thought as to its recycling.
I am glad I am in the late afternoon of life as sadly the future for my children any grandchildren looks bleak.
Even more coffee imbibed.Try to ignore me,have fun,Steve..

#20 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:27 PM

Reducing speed limits in wet weather theoretically sounds good, but surely good drivers adjust there speed to suit conditions? I dont believe speed is the main cause of incidents/accidents, bad driving/undertaking, cars drivers feel that if they have indicaed that they can change lane even if there is no gap, and inconsiderate drivers that force other drivers to give way etc.

I have been driving over 40 years and feel that driving standards have declined along with the fact that Police numbers have dropped resulting in most bad drivers not getting caught. I reported a driver recently for trying to force me off the road about 6 times because in his eyes I didnt allow him to pull in front of me 50yds before a motorway turn off, Police have charged him based on my Dashcam footage. The charge would have been more serious if I had set the date and time on my dashcam correctly. Rant over

#21 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 03:46 PM

Reducing speed limits in wet weather theoretically sounds good, but surely good drivers adjust there speed to suit conditions? I dont believe speed is the main cause of incidents/accidents, bad driving/undertaking, cars drivers feel that if they have indicaed that they can change lane even if there is no gap, and inconsiderate drivers that force other drivers to give way etc.

I have been driving over 40 years and feel that driving standards have declined along with the fact that Police numbers have dropped resulting in most bad drivers not getting caught. I reported a driver recently for trying to force me off the road about 6 times because in his eyes I didnt allow him to pull in front of me 50yds before a motorway turn off, Police have charged him based on my Dashcam footage. The charge would have been more serious if I had set the date and time on my dashcam correctly. Rant over

I think the standards of driving has reduced significantly in the last 20years.

#22 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:23 AM

Ok, if you say so.  O_O
The faster you go the more road space you take up to maintain a safe stopping distance. If you weren't taking up more road space you'd never catch up with any  lorries to overtake them. The braking starts because the traffic already is congested, everybody is following at a minimum safe difference so can't  manoeuvre without 1st slowing to reduce the minimum safe stopping distance in order to create the space they need.

It's people who drive faster until all the gaps are reduced to a minimum who create congestion.

This theory is flawed. Vehicles travelling faster will cover distances quicker, therefore will spend less time on the road, therefore there will be less vehicles for any given stretch of road. You need to include this in your theory ....

#23 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

Driving was once seen as a privilege and was an almost art form.New cars lull you and take away most of the things us old car owners have to be mindful of.Now everyone is more important than the next and it is always the fault of someone else and all the pilot has to do is occasionally look through the screen to avoid crashing.Some seem unable to do this.
New cars are so fast without thinking about it,I have to work my v8 hard to keep up with just about any small car and when it comes to a decision there is never enough time.
Remove the power steering and slow traffic down for starters.Steve..

#24 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:50 AM

Ok, if you say so.  O_O

This theory is flawed. Vehicles travelling faster will cover distances quicker, therefore will spend less time on the road, therefore there will be less vehicles for any given stretch of road. You need to include this in your theory ....

Not so,

Congestion is where too much traffic tries to use too little road space.

Baths usually have inch & a half waste pipes sized to take the flow from both taps. You could plumb one up to inch & a quarter pipe, unsurprisingly it'd take longer to empty. You may even find you could turn the taps on so the water flowing in matches the water flowing out and the level stays the same. I'd doubt you'd be surprised to see the bath overflow if you opened the taps so the water came out even faster.

#25 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:56 AM

But you said,

#26 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:57 AM

Ok, if you say so. O_O
The faster you go the more road space you take up to maintain a safe stopping distance. If you weren't taking up more road space you'd never catch up with any lorries to overtake them. The braking starts because the traffic already is congested, everybody is following at a minimum safe difference so can't manoeuvre without 1st slowing to reduce the minimum safe stopping distance in order to create the space they need.

So lorries cause the most congestion as they take a lot more stopping distance. Lorries need 120 meters at 55mph. Cars doing 80 mph need only 100.

#27 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:04 AM

You must be wrong about lorry stopping distances,my experience of observing our Knights of the Road is the stopping distance from 56 mph must be less than 4 metres as that is usually how far apart lots of them seem to be and they seem content to travel at this distance from my rear bumper.Steve..

#28 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:22 PM

Don't get me started on that. Racing driver I knew got killed by a lorry crashing into a traffic jam. Just saw another (deadly?) Accident happening right next to me 3 weeks ago. It's outright dangerous these days.

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

Ok, if you say so. O_O
The faster you go the more road space you take up to maintain a safe stopping distance. If you weren't taking up more road space you'd never catch up with any lorries to overtake them. The braking starts because the traffic already is congested, everybody is following at a minimum safe difference so can't manoeuvre without 1st slowing to reduce the minimum safe stopping distance in order to create the space they need.

So lorries cause the most congestion as they take a lot more stopping distance. Lorries need 120 meters at 55mph. Cars doing 80 mph need only 100.

Only if there's another vehicle in front of them, requiring them to keep their distance. I acknowledge Sonscar's observation, but if you want to have any goods in the shops you'll have to accept some Heavy Goods Vehicle traffic is unavoidable & the slower the DVD watching Yorkie munchers go, the faster (relatively) everyone else is going to catch them up.

#30 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:21 PM

But you said,

Yes, the cars are catching the lorries up is why they're on the same stretch of road. Cars can legally do 60, lorries can't legally do 70, many physically can't reach their own legal limit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users