#1 sb95

sb95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 01:41 PM

Hello everyone! 

I have recently been given the opportunity to purchase a 1988 rover mini 1000 from a family member. I have always been interested in renovating a classic car and am incredibly excited about my first project being such an iconic car. 

I have little mechanical experience however consider myself pretty handy and tend to pick things up quickly. A lot of what I've researched online suggests a mini is a great beginners car to work on however I do feel I'm throwing myself in at the deep end and hoped for some pointers with regards to resources to learn from? I have seen many reference to Haynes manual and obviously spent a bit of time trolling through youtube, aside from these is there anywhere else you would recommend? 

Additionally, the vehicle I am looking to purchase has not been ran for 5 or 6 years. Aside from recharging battery, emptying and refilling fuel, oil and coolant and making sure the air filter is in good condition. Would you advise any more steps prior to trying to start the engine? 

Regards, 

Stuart 

#2 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

Welcome, I'm based in Glasgow and the Black Isle. 

Yeah Haynes manual is a must have. Youtube and this forum have been handy for me- just make sure you search around before asking questions, normally someone has had the same issue before. 

And your process sounds good. Maybe check brakes too. 

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 17 August 2021 - 06:41 PM

Welcome from Aberdeen also......

Check as many things as you can..

Depends what your goi g to do with it - full resto, fix up and drive, engine rebuild, replace panels, replace interior...

Soooo many options..

Try finding some mini magazines and find what you like..

Always willing to lend a hand if your in need i am local afterall..

There are a few local meets i would suggest also.. helps to know the local mini folks..

#4 123kalvin321

123kalvin321

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:31 PM

Hey there!

Im also from aberdeen and just picked up a 1992 mini a couple weeks ago. No idea what im doing either haha but should be an interesting journey trying to get this thing mot'd and back on the road!

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 30 August 2021 - 05:15 AM

Well let me know if you need a hand..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users