7 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Anything

Adam Anything

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:46 PM

Hi all, thinking of changing to one carb from two if possible, so thought id ask those in the know. After reading around this forum and the carburation section in the yellow A series tuning book by David Vizard, one carb doesn’t seem to be an issue so long as there is sufficient airflow because only one cylinder is ‘sucking’ at a time

Have had a looked through the cars history documents and found it was a 1991 Mini Neon originally but the engine is a 1333cc with a stage 3 head and 276 cam from mini speed 18 years ago.

Currently have a set of twin su’s from an allegro, HS4 1.5” (according to the tag numbers) which are having issues beyond my current skillset and the rebuild kits are backordered possibly for months to even attempt.

So thinking its a good time to swap it out for a single carb which would be my preference anyway due to it being a simpler setup.

After reading about on the forum this is what I’ve come up with and would be grateful if anyone with the knowledge would let me know if this is an error in my thinking before making an expensive guess, or if theres any parts I'm overlooking/missing.

“Single HIF44 1.75" SU carburettor, with linkages” (SKU MS2908KIT) -> minisport

“CARB TO MANIFOLD GASKET 1.75” (SKU 88G429B) -> minispares

“HS4 Alloy Spacer Block - 13.5mm” (SKU 12H1389)  -> minisport

“HIF38/44 Carb Abutment Bracket” (SKU CAM4942) -> minisport

Thanks for any help 

Adam

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:52 PM

I would join the TMF+ for £5 and get 7.5% off all MiniSpares orders.

you could use one of your current carbs. But an HIF is a better carb.

#3 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:24 PM

If you wanted a single SU carb then a HIF44 would be your best option. I don’t think a single HS4 would be enough for your engine spec

That said, I’d rather get your current twin HS4 looked at by an expert. If it’s a tuning issue they should be able to sort them out, and swapping for another type of carb would require tuning anyway

#4 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 06:17 AM

Hi all, thinking of changing to one carb from two if possible, so thought id ask those in the know. After reading around this forum and the carburation section in the yellow A series tuning book by David Vizard, one carb doesn’t seem to be an issue so long as there is sufficient airflow because only one cylinder is ‘sucking’ at a time

Have had a looked through the cars history documents and found it was a 1991 Mini Neon originally but the engine is a 1333cc with a stage 3 head and 276 cam from mini speed 18 years ago.

Currently have a set of twin su’s from an allegro, HS4 1.5” (according to the tag numbers) which are having issues beyond my current skillset and the rebuild kits are backordered possibly for months to even attempt.

So thinking its a good time to swap it out for a single carb which would be my preference anyway due to it being a simpler setup.

After reading about on the forum this is what I’ve come up with and would be grateful if anyone with the knowledge would let me know if this is an error in my thinking before making an expensive guess, or if theres any parts I'm overlooking/missing.

“Single HIF44 1.75" SU carburettor, with linkages” (SKU MS2908KIT) -> minisport

“CARB TO MANIFOLD GASKET 1.75” (SKU 88G429B) -> minispares

“HS4 Alloy Spacer Block - 13.5mm” (SKU 12H1389) -> minisport

“HIF38/44 Carb Abutment Bracket” (SKU CAM4942) -> minisport

Thanks for any help

Adam

HIF44 throttle cable to fit abutment plate: RHD, SBB1009. LHD, SBB10126.

Carb to air cleaner gasket?

Edited by croc7, 18 August 2021 - 06:21 AM.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:39 AM

The spacer block is different from HS4 to HIF carb too

#6 Adam Anything

Adam Anything

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses, its more helpful than you likely realise as I don't really have anyone to ask just a lot of reading haynes books/this forum and youtube videos so far.

I would join the TMF+ for £5 and get 7.5% off all MiniSpares orders.

you could use one of your current carbs. But an HIF is a better carb.

Thanks Nicklouse a HIF44 is looking like the way I'm going to go, I have signed up for the TMF+ 

If you wanted a single SU carb then a HIF44 would be your best option. I don’t think a single HS4 would be enough for your engine spec

That said, I’d rather get your current twin HS4 looked at by an expert. If it’s a tuning issue they should be able to sort them out, and swapping for another type of carb would require tuning anyway

Thanks Timmy850 good to know a HIF44 would be enough, my curiosity got me and took a look in the carbs I currently have as they presumably last got rebuilt with the engine, the bolt by the float that should hold the small needle to stop the fuel is broken other than that they look in an okayish condition to a layman like me so that would be an option once I could get hold of a kit but would prefer a single carb anyway so will probably sell them on as a project to someone with the know how, current plan is to get the car to run again (It was briefly when brought) and then take to someone to setup properly.

Thanks Croc7 (sorry cant get the hang of the multi quote), have added that throttle cable to my list and a carb air filter gasket, AUC1282X -> minisport 

The spacer block is different from HS4 to HIF carb too

Thanks Cal844, so should I add a HS4 spacer (minisport 12H1389) and a heat gasket (minisport GUG705964GM) to the list?

I should mention haven't got a preference for Mini Sport its just the peeps I've used so far need to set up a Mini Spares account by the sounds.

Thanks again

Adam

Edited by Adam Anything, 18 August 2021 - 04:22 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:19 PM

No you need the HIF spacer and abutment plate, youll also need 3 gaskets

#8 Adam Anything

Adam Anything

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:30 PM

No you need the HIF spacer and abutment plate, youll also need 3 gaskets

My bad Cal844 to long staring at carb types, and thanks again

So if anyone happens to be trying something similar in the future and comes across this thread, the parts list I have ended up with is (will update it on this post if there are any more suggestions)

All on Mini Spares, think I'm just missing some accelerator/choke linkages 

CARB TO MANIFOLD GASKET 1.75" (HS6 and all HIF) + 3

88G429B

1.5" CARB ELBOW GASKET 

GUG705559GM

HIF44 CARB SPACER - 3/8"/9.5mm

GUG705964GM

CARB HIF38/44 ABUTMENT/BRACKET

CAM4942

ACCELERATOR CABLE RHD 1275 CARB MODEL 1990 ON 

SBB10099

HIF44 CARBURETTOR