8 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:39 AM

I know that the gear lever gaiter has a metal retainer, but does the handbrake gaiter have one or does it just rely on the carpet to keep it in place?

#2 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:06 PM

Hi from Northants! - I assume you mean the standard gear gaiter and standard retaining ring;  there is/was no standard handbrake gaiter AFAIK (maybe on the last models which I will never afford....) so it depends what you've bought and how it was intended to be used.

It is a messy area in a mini and a good solution would be well received by many I think, if you have one/can find one - most of the ones I've seen are designed to just push under the slot in the carpet (which still looks untidy IMHO

Alternatively maybe make one - sure it would be possible to cut a retaining ring and self tap it to the floor like the gear gaiter does.

I need a handbrake gaiter for my project so can I ask what you've got/where you got it - I have a centre console that extends back over the handbrake and I'm using an old/spare aftermarket gear gaiter ATM but need it to be "handbrake shaped" to fit better however not sure how I will fix it - either to the floor or the console maybe.

Attached File  20210818_164735.jpg   181.62K   9 downloads

#3 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:40 PM

What is that console one out of? Also that looks like a mini interior but the door frame and side skirt look different. What’s the deal there?

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:06 PM

That console does look good!

#5 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 09:10 PM

What is that console one out of? Also that looks like a mini interior but the door frame and side skirt look different. What’s the deal there?

See my project thread here:

https://www.theminif...r-fabrications/

A kit car hence the weirdness of the body shape

As mentioned on the (currently) last page of the thread the console is from a Fiat 500 (classic not late) or Fiat 126, modified (chopped!) around the handbrake area  - got it off Ebay - also I've screwed one of those cheap double sockets to the front pocket part for phone charging.

In the last post on that thread there is also this link to another one for sale:

https://www.ebay.co....QQAAOSw-m1eprvq

Here's a bit bigger crop of the picture in case you want to see more detail:

Attached File  console.jpg   48.03K   3 downloads

No cup holders (yet!) and still not sure I'm totally happy with it around the handbrake but I'm not all that good at doing that kind of stuff so don't really know what I'm going to do with it. 

Probably not much as that area is more or less hidden between the front seats normally so won't be that visible.

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:21 PM

I bought a leather one and with the loop pile carpet in my mini I glued the hook part of Velcro to the edge of the leather base and it fits it tight to the carpet and looks fine.

#7 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:09 PM

Hi from Northants! - I assume you mean the standard gear gaiter and standard retaining ring;  there is/was no standard handbrake gaiter AFAIK (maybe on the last models which I will never afford....) so it depends what you've bought and how it was intended to be used.

It is a messy area in a mini and a good solution would be well received by many I think, if you have one/can find one - most of the ones I've seen are designed to just push under the slot in the carpet (which still looks untidy IMHO

Alternatively maybe make one - sure it would be possible to cut a retaining ring and self tap it to the floor like the gear gaiter does.

I need a handbrake gaiter for my project so can I ask what you've got/where you got it - I have a centre console that extends back over the handbrake and I'm using an old/spare aftermarket gear gaiter ATM but need it to be "handbrake shaped" to fit better however not sure how I will fix it - either to the floor or the console maybe.

attachicon.gif 20210818_164735.jpg

Nice one ........don't know how we haven't met Northampton being the size of a pea? anyway like your console and love yer build thread, absolutely spanking  neat motor....very envious indeed. Going to wait until Stanford for the gaiter see what's there....no real rush..Are you going to Standford in it   ?          .....only up the road.

#8 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:31 PM

Nice one ........don't know how we haven't met Northampton being the size of a pea? anyway like your console and love yer build thread, absolutely spanking  neat motor....very envious indeed. Going to wait until Stanford for the gaiter see what's there....no real rush..Are you going to Standford in it   ?          .....only up the road.

I don't daily any of the minis so probably why you haven seen me out and about in any of them - and of course haven't used them much at all in the last 18 months thanks to Covid (I used to go to the Earls Barton meet pretty much most months)

I'll be at Stanford - I think my club will have a stand and I should be taking the project (Marmite!) assuming its running OK - Come and search me out; always happy to chat to any mini folk especially if you're from "air teyn" ("our town" in a Northampton accent for the benefit of any non-Northamptonians reading this...!)

Re the handbrake gaiter - I think Chris1275GT has a good idea with the velcro and I've seen this on Ebay which looks jolly reasonably priced so probably going to try that

https://www.ebay.co....ZwAAOSwPe1UGnrP

#9 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:40 PM

I don't daily any of the minis so probably why you haven seen me out and about in any of them - and of course haven't used them much at all in the last 18 months thanks to Covid (I used to go to the Earls Barton meet pretty much most months)

I'll be at Stanford - I think my club will have a stand and I should be taking the project (Marmite!) assuming its running OK - Come and search me out; always happy to chat to any mini folk especially if you're from "air teyn" ("our town" in a Northampton accent for the benefit of any non-Northamptonians reading this...!)

Re the handbrake gaiter - I think Chris1275GT has a good idea with the velcro and I've seen this on Ebay which looks jolly reasonably priced so probably going to try that

https://www.ebay.co....ZwAAOSwPe1UGnrP

Same same, used to be loads of us from The Mini Hospital......Claire st, but not now.................two of us will be going up, maybe three, so will look you up mate.   Will deflook at Marmite just out of curiosity and envy, absolutely love things that are contrary!!!! mean that in a nice way. Good leather gaiters are two a penny mate mostly come in sets for £20 quid, but may make me own, do like the idea of making a retaining ring tho...thanks, see you there.........................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users