24 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:32 PM

A few years ago I used some flat sticky SMD LEDs to create a third brake light and indicators on my Mk1, as per this video:

https://youtu.be/x_ClZ2I1lIM

I wanted to do the same for my Rover Cooper and decided to use the newer strip LEDs, really designed for outdoors, but they are more of a solid light, as you cant see the individual LEDs, and hence I think more clear and also compact.

I used a solid piece of L shaped plastic last time, but this time I wanted something for the strip sit in, so I used 13mm flexible conduit, which already had a slot, but I needed to widen it slightly. We had to make some custom brackets, which slid underneath the rear screen rubber, but it all seems to work quite well. There are two different varieties of brackets, the main 4 are also used to cover the joins and then the two larger ones to hold in the middle section, without covering the light.

The video isn't great, as there were too many reflections, but you'll get the idea

https://youtu.be/vn483O7L-Dc

Close up of the indicator:

https://youtu.be/aAtGp7eh0VE

Parts used:

RED & ORANGE LED rope (tons of other sellers)

https://www.ebay.co....m/275117353173?

Conduit, 13mm, split (open) version

https://www.ebay.co....m/283818025967?

Cable: (as recommended on forum as thinnest I could get away with) 0.5mm² 11 Amp 20AWG
It's probably 6 or 7 metres of cable, I didn't measure what I used, I bought 20 so I had some spare.

https://www.ebay.co....tm/183074481849

DISCLAIMER:
I have no affiliation to these sellers. Also this is for information purposes only, please consult a qualified automotive electrician if you are not competent to install yourself.

brake-lights.png

Edited by beardylondon, 04 December 2023 - 11:12 AM.

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 08:35 PM

Well done!! 

#3 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:32 AM

Both ideas make mine look rubbish so thanks.

High level brake lights really are a must now and what you have look great and you didn`t need to drill holes.

I have a third brake light stuck to the window on my mk2 and a few people have said it looks wrong and my reply is do you think it would look better with the back end caved in .

The roads are a battle field these days and here in Cornwall it`s ridiculous at the moment so everyone reading this should make this your next project. 

#4 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 09:06 AM

Love the lights. Can you give me more information on the products you used?

#5 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 23 August 2021 - 09:06 AM

I cheated, I used one from a Citroen C2, as fitted to project Binky. It just needed a bracket made up to bolt between the lamp and the header rail. The angle of the lamp to the rear screen and around the screen rubber is good, so no glare is reflected forward.

116.jpg

#6 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

thanks, I have updated my post above with all the parts.

Love the lights. Can you give me more information on the products you used?

#7 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2021 - 02:48 PM

These look good! I just ordered some ready made ones from uncle Aliexpress; these 90cm units should fit the Mk2+ rear window: https://nl.aliexpres...2999024252.html

I have yet to receive it, I mainly hope the brake light LED's are bright enough for daytime driving, any other functions within legal limits would be a bonus for me. In The Netherlands we're reaaaaly trained in looking over your shoulder due to the many cyclists, so the high up indicators are less of a worry to me. I'll report in this topic how the Aliexpress unit turns out, otherwise I'll gladly follow your guide above OP!

#8 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:13 PM

These look good! I just ordered some ready made ones from uncle Aliexpress; these 90cm units should fit the Mk2+ rear window: https://nl.aliexpres...2999024252.html

Not sure I like these.. I think the Left & Right indications are confusing when they run across the entire rope.  Then if they are bright enough, they might drown out the actual L/R indicators.  For that split second, you don't know if the person is turning left or right..   All the other features are neat, but I personally wouldn't buy for the indicator confusion alone.. 

#9 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:23 PM

Hence my primary goal is the brake light version; I've ordered both ;-)

#10 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:08 PM

I do like the rope lights, but I also purchased the LED 3rd brake light from Hella light (x2) for my minis.  It's a perfect fit for the angle of the glass.  Not sure how readily available they are now.. 

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:47 PM

I agree confusing and maybe an mot fail, as the light starts so far from the intended destination?

Not sure I like these.. I think the Left & Right indications are confusing when they run across the entire rope. Then if they are bright enough, they might drown out the actual L/R indicators. For that split second, you don't know if the person is turning left or right.. All the other features are neat, but I personally wouldn't buy for the indicator confusion alone..

Edited by beardylondon, 23 August 2021 - 05:48 PM.

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:47 PM

A slightly different viewpoint … fitting a high level brake light will not make anyone leave a bigger gap behind you, neither will it improve their reaction time. The main purpose of a high level brake light is to enable vehicles further back, behind the vehicle behind you, to see your brake lights when active.
Whether you fit one or not, in a Mini the way you drive is much more important, certainly don’t get in a situation where you need to pull up too quickly and need to rely on an extra light! Bikers (on the whole) ride defensively and are much more aware if their surroundings than the average car driver, and they certainly don’t have high level brake lights in the hope they won’t be rear ended.

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:59 PM

In London especially I have been tailgated many times and before I had the install on the mk1, people in SUVs must have failed to see my indication or indeed braking, so I believe it has helped highlight drivers awareness of my brake and turn signals, especially for those lazy and unobservant. I’m a motorcycle rider too and agree with your comments, but every little helps in my humble opinion.

#14 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 08:55 AM

The only reason for me to install them are the vast increase of SUV's; despite their ride height being high enough to even look beyond the Mini, I certainly can't shake the feeling that anyone in an SUV and being distracted (a more likely combination by the day..) would be better alerted with a brake light in their line of sight vs one below their bumper.

#15 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:17 PM

Fog light unit from Halfords,
£7.50 all in with brackets/bulb,
Wired into stoplight circuit,
Nice and bright :-)

Attached Files