#1 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 09:37 AM

hi,

I know this has probably been spoken about a dozen of times, but does anyone have recommendations on what LED build unit is best used for standard P700 headlights.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 September 2021 - 11:25 AM

hi,

I know this has probably been spoken about a dozen of times, but does anyone have recommendations on what LED build unit is best used for standard P700 headlights.

None. You need a complete LED headlamp to be UK legal.

#3 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

Not completely true, the original MOT dictat was amended so it depends on the age of the car. Cars first registered before 1st April 1986 can use LED bulbs. This was amended after bodies raised concerns about the safety of original spec headlamps on older cars.

https://www.gov.uk/g...amp-conversions

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 12:56 PM

Check out the Classic Car Led site for options https://www.classicc...nt-beam-pattern

I have these in Cibie units, they’re not bright white so they’re in keeping with the age of the vehicle. But they also do bright white if that’s your thing. And as humph says, they’re mot friendly.

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 03 September 2021 - 01:01 PM

All to do with the type of lamp. The glass mini type do not take well to the heat of some bulbs..

Led do not give lots of heat but the headlamp also needs to deal with beam spread.

Technical yeah you......

#6 JDMRoverMini

JDMRoverMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:25 PM

Steveston Motor Co has a few options I’ve heard are good. Either new single unit LED replacements, or a bulb & housing combo which looks more original. 

https://stevestonmot...ctions/lighting

#7 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 04:36 PM

Steveston Motor Co has a few options I’ve heard are good. Either new single unit LED replacements, or a bulb & housing combo which looks more original. 

https://stevestonmot...ctions/lighting

I bought their H4 LED bulbs to go into my Lucas lamp reflectors. Mine were the old type bulb format (P56??) so H4's do not fit direct. I found Classic Car LED site lists an adaptor ring to permit H4 bulbs to fit in these reflectors. All went together just fine. The LEDs are much brighter and though not super white/blue, they are not the very warm colour of the original 40 Watt glow-worms. The LED's from Steveston (actually Apollo branded...maybe other suppliers can be found) have a rotational adjustment to help with beam pattern fine tuning...I still need to play with that. I don't really drive much in the dark so has not been top priority yet (no MOT inspections here either).

#8 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 05:52 AM

fancy a set of these, maybe I am being a numpty BUT how do these actually fit in? All that stuff behind the bulb itself, where does it all go???

#9 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:40 AM

If you are referring to led bulbs retro fit to H4 or other reflectors, there is plenty of space behind the reflector. The lamp mounting buckets have large openings behind bulb position if recall correctly, for the connector and wiring. I've actually fit a previous generation led h4 into a much more cramped motorcycle lamp. It had an extra box for the voltage regulator and larger cooling parts. All went in fine.

#10 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:26 PM

If you are referring to led bulbs retro fit to H4 or other reflectors, there is plenty of space behind the reflector. The lamp mounting buckets have large openings behind bulb position if recall correctly, for the connector and wiring. I've actually fit a previous generation led h4 into a much more cramped motorcycle lamp. It had an extra box for the voltage regulator and larger cooling parts. All went in fine.

just been watching vids of led conversion.....mega interesting.......depending on what type of headlamp cover you have ie plastic of metal, and if you have to do a little headlight bowl fettling, worth doing the research I thought as there are  thousands out there...scarey really

#11 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 12:36 PM

My mk1 is rarely on the road after dark. I find the weak warm glow from its sealed beam lights very pleasing. Wouldn't like to have them on a daily driver but for pure nostalgia I love them. Love seeing a classic coming towards me with sealed beams. Takes me back to the 70's 😁

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:41 AM

Not completely true, the original MOT dictat was amended so it depends on the age of the car. Cars first registered before 1st April 1986 can use LED bulbs. This was amended after bodies raised concerns about the safety of original spec headlamps on older cars.

https://www.gov.uk/g...amp-conversions

Cheers for that I had missed it. And have just been cursing the fact I can’t fit LEDs to my 2007 car. Might have to see if there is an upgrade route.  But for the Mini owners there are a number of LED headlight options out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users