Photo
- - - - -

1990 1275 Cooper Exhaust & Carb Needle Advice.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

Hi all, currently been putting engine together after been boxed for 3 years and have stalled again untill I can sort idler gear shims out, so trying to decide on exhaust and what carb needle I need to buy.

Block standard apart from pistons, now P21253-30.
Evolution 001 cam
Head is standard from factory.

The complete exhaust is all shot, apart from the manifold which is a cam6745, should I keep this or would there be benefit in getting rid?

I was thinking of keeping the Cam6745 manifold and buying a C-AEG367 Maniflow downpipe from Minispares, then attaching a complete RC40 exhaust to this deleting the cat.

The carb that came with car I believe is a Hiff44, missing it's needle. What would be best Needle as a starting point to get this engine going again, Then actually driving it to an MOT station!

I think it unlikely I be changing to a Big valve head in future, but you never know.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:20 PM

Personally fit an RC40 with either LCB Or Cooper Free flow exhaust manifold.

Use the minispares inlet manifold for your carb. You'll also need new gaskets for the carb spacer. Also use the AAU needle (might need a BDL but an AAU should be close)

Regards

Cal

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

Does the carburetter have an identification tag ?

Little triangular tag - normally on the dashpot cover, if you have that tag on it, I can tell you what it was from, and what needle was fitted

#4 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:33 PM

Does the carburetter have an identification tag ?

Little triangular tag - normally on the dashpot cover, if you have that tag on it, I can tell you what it was from, and what needle was fitted

There was, it's in loft in a box somewhere. I will try and find it tomorrow. Just come from loft looking for other bits.

Was unsure if the spec of needle would need to be different due to rebore and exhaust. I personally have no idea.

#5 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 20 September 2021 - 04:18 AM

Personally fit an RC40 with either LCB Or Cooper Free flow exhaust manifold.

Use the minispares inlet manifold for your carb. You'll also need new gaskets for the carb spacer. Also use the AAU needle (might need a BDL but an AAU should be close)

Regards

Cal

Just to clarify something. It should indeed have a HIF44 in which case don't fit a needle with the A prefix or you could destroy your engine. Cal's BDL recommendation however is a good one to try 1st on a 44 but it must be a B_ _ needle with a 44.
Nake sure it is a 44 though. If you put a B prefix needle in a 38 it won't start and will probably make you swear :shy:

Edited by Pigeonto, 20 September 2021 - 07:31 AM.

#6 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

Found carb. Anyone know what that solenoid is for?

https://imgur.com/a/ldMyZuk

This is the tag on carb

https://imgur.com/a/ldMyZuk

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:46 PM

I have just rebuilt my 1990 Cooper 1330 engine. I've fitted an LCB and it already has a twin-box exhaust. The middle box is a Maniflow cherry-bomb and the rear box is an RC40 centre-exit.

Cam is MG Metro and head has 35.6/29.5 mm valves and has been mildly gas-flowed with CR set to 10.5:1.

I can't remember what the needle is, but it might need changing with the better manifold and better head.

#8 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:14 PM

Having looked into costs of new downpipe to keep original cast cooper/mg manifold, I have decided to go with Cooper Free flow exhaust manifold with RC exhaust as it only £17 more. Also a K & N filter that fits in original air filter housing.

From what I have been reading in this forum, pre 92 cars get a pre cat emission test. So hopefully no problem there.

#9 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:13 AM

That carb is from a Montego 1.3 - 1985 on and used a BCZ needle

It is an electronic carb, which is an electric choke, not manual 

Never known those fitted on a Mini

#10 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

Didn't think that carb looked right, with some sort of solenoid on it, but that is what was bolted on mini cooper when I got it.

Is it still useable? Hif44 carbs are quite expensive.

#11 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

http://sucarb.co.uk/...ter-dismantling

The choke / stepper assembly on manual and electric carbs are 2 different animals

With electric carbs, the body is designed to take a stepper motor - which puts the fuel from the choke mechanism through into the carburetter differently.

The above top link shows you the body of a manual choked carb in HIF form

The idea of the solenoid is that it is wired to an electric thermometer in effect , and when the thermometer gets hot enough, it switches off the electric choke (just trying to keep this simple - easier to follow)

Early Automatic Enrichment Devices (AED) worked on a more or less same scenario, but was shut off by warm air entering the device as opposed to been told to shut off by an electronic thermistor

I have not seen an electronic HIF fitted on a Mini - but never say never - someone may have tried it - but I don't know

And "Yes" HIF44 carbs are not cheap - supply and demand - I got one on a water heated manifold, K & N filter fitted all for £30 back in 1985

#12 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:37 PM

Well I'm confused.

The linkages looks like it has throttle and choke. There's no stepper motor. But some sort of vacuum unit.

Choke? https://imgur.com/a/FtHAGPE

Figured out the solenoid thing is an ORFCO valve. Is that an overrun device?

ORFCO valve https://imgur.com/a/xcYB7C1

#13 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:53 AM

Have a look at this site

https://maestro.org....ncovered?t=3102

That looks another animal altogether to what I have in my catalogue. While the choke and accelerator side looks like it could simply connect straight up,

I can't comment on the valve side of things except from reading the above article

The valve side of things is something I could not comment on - never worked with them or on them

#14 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:31 AM

Use a BDL needle, which is what is in my wife's 1330 with an evo 01. Just been on rolling road and the needle didn't need modifying to give 89 bhp.

#15 Timmyquick

Timmyquick

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

Use a BDL needle, which is what is in my wife's 1330 with an evo 01. Just been on rolling road and the needle didn't need modifying to give 89 bhp.

Sounds good, decided to go with BDL needle, when I have decided what to do with my current carb situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users