phil242

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Maniac Alpin

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

Hi,

A friend have a faulty mkc104291 in his MPI (ECU doesn't ask to front fan to rev and the water boil fast ...).

I have a spare mkc104290 on my desk.

It sounds more easy to buy a T300+ and cable to recode it to run the car again, than to open the ECU and try to solve the problem.

(I have a SP ACR4, but with Rover POD3, so the Lucas 5AS isn't listed :angry:)

According to Rover MPI manual, nothing is said about those 3 versions. I conclude I can swap them, but would like to have yours opinions.

Cheers!

Phil

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Just minor changes between the versions 290,291 and the final 292.

Depends on the cost of the T300 and cable I guess but he could get it repaired for £125 from ATP.

FS

#3 phil242

phil242

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:04 PM

Hi FlyingScot,

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

As the second good ECU is already here and unused, the price of repairing or buying a T300+  + cable is barely the same.

So we will try to solve the problem by ECU swapping.

I have ATP on my "good places" list, as they work on all the ECU for the Mighty Mini Championship (I have a modified SPI :gimme: ).

But it worth a try to be able to recode ECU, Lucas and keyfob for the MPI. Even if in our club there's only one MPI.

That's bad I don't have the V5 edition of the Rover pod for Sykes Pickavant ACR4 :ermm: , so I'll explore the T300+ for the MPI.

Cheers,

Phil

#4 phil242

phil242

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

No more Lucas 5AS / MEMS2J cable are available for the T300+.

But gbt100 (Gareth) help me sorting a problem: he traced & reverse engineered the cable he own and sort out the schematics.

I have ordered on AliExpress everything to build a few cables + the T300+ for 108€ (92£).

I thinks it's a good strategy to be autonomous with those MEMS ECU / Lucas immo.

I'll let you know how things goes.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

#5 Urbanjoke65

Urbanjoke65

Learner Driver

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:46 PM

Re MPI just got one that’s been in a garage for 6 years - no ignition no fuel pump and talking to ATP tomorrow. Did anyone make up these leads as looking to get T300 for future?

#6 Deeppockets

Deeppockets

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 12:54 PM

I am also considering a T300, can the cable spec be posted?

#7 phil242

phil242

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

Yesterday I found some time to go and try to fix this damn MPI, with the bespoke cable and the T300+.

With all the details given by Gareth (nickname here: gbt100), the T300+ got the connection the first time.

And I brought my Sykes Pickavent ACR4 and Rover POD 3 with me.

The deal was to find why :

* the car didn't run the cooling fan (and so my friend burnt the head gasket)

* engine doesn't run as it should (bad idle, doesn't rev nice etc.)

* the engine doesn't stall at ignition off.

What a program O_O.

First, inspection of the car. The Mini stayed *4* month in garage who fix the head-gasket and do not manage to find the remaining problems ...

A shame, a big mess while trying to find why the cooling fan didn't run. Loom cut, switch added to power the fan, and that it. But ... the switch was under the bonnet :D.

Connecting the T300+ and reset the default code. It works. But it let some default because it didn't know it's a Mini and there is no oil temp. sensor for example.

First run, monitoring the cooling temp with the T300+. It shown a cool temp, then 85° after a few minutes. Strange. Nothing degree by degree. We stop the car, the liquid was boiling ...

The air temp was stalled too at 34°.

We connect the ACR4, air temp at 65°, cooling liquid at 102° ! Those values were accurate.

--> T300+ doesn't display the temperature accurately and is useless for this task.

Then we've switch for the rest of the evening to the ACR4 and get back at the end to the T300+ for extras tests.

With the ACR4's actuator menu we've heard the relay of the cooling fan, so we just needed to cable again the rest of the loom and the fan was running nice.

T300+ failed to play with actuators...

Then, the ACR4 (and the T300+ too) complain about the throttle sensor position. The loom's connector was ... unplugged!

Last problem, the car never stopping. After controlling the key barrel is OK, all suspicions goes to the bug black relay pack. While shocking it, the car stall faster.

Another interesting test was the ECU recoding: no way to do it with my ACR4, but T300+ does the job.

So my spare ECU was successfully recoded to the car and run as it should.

But another interesting function is the "set ECU insecure". As the Lucas 5AS of my friend isn't working, it stay in "disarmed" mode. Maybe it can get worst.

So we tried to unlock the ECU and ... it failed. Screenshot is attached :goaway:.

We also tried to connect to the Lucas 5as, it works the first time. Reading and displaying the EKA code is OK.

We don't tried to recode the 2 remote, but menu was OK.

Another important point is the version of the T300+. We've used the V21.4.

Not the one I ordered :ohno: (V17.8), because I've read it gets worst on the last revisions.

So ... will I advice this T300+ as lonely tool? Sure NOT !!! It's sounds to me to belong the Chinese clone tools and dirty unfinished product. (maybe the original T300+ is okey, but clone are horrible, plastic, finish paint etc.)

But as a second tool beside a Sykes Pickavent ACR4 + Rover pod 3 --> sure! The ECU coding and Lucas 5AS handling is OK (a shame the free coding function isn't running!), Rover POD3 doesn't handle this.

I'll try to find the time to draw on a PCB tool the cable schematics, because ordering bits for soldering something like 3 cables and a T300+ reader cost us something like 105€! Cheap, even if the tool is only used for the Lucas 5AS.

And last advice: you should check the Pscan as single and well supported now-day tool  https://pscan.uk/index.html

Hope it gives some true advices to people thinking to the T300+.

(And sorry for my English, I've done my best :shy:)

Cheers,

Phil

Attached Files

Edited by phil242, 11 March 2022 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users