• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

Sorry to be different, but I always use that bottom fixing on my rally cars with a Loctited stud & Nyloc nut..

In addition I make the rest of the exhaust from the Y-piece back one welded assembly.

The Y-piece is clamped in place using the normal clamps, but the lugs are vertical upwards on the inner and horizontal on the outer so that they wont break if they hit the ground. Then I drill upwards through each of the clamps and tap each 1/4" UNF and put two stub-bolts in using Loctite.

At the rear, I have the big choc-block at the front of the sub-frame and 4 cotton-reel fittings, two vertical and two horizontal with a strap across the underneath of the exit pipe.

I have dented exhaust pipes, flattened Y-pieces and damaged rear boxes, but never lost an exhaust (yet!).

I also have an 'ultimate engine steady'.

By the way, on cars with a remote gear change, the remote casting has a 5/16" UNF hole at a 45 degree angle for a clamp, but it only seems to work with a single standard pipe.

Edited by Cooperman, 22 September 2021 - 08:53 PM.

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:53 PM

but the ones that go the whole way around. I forget the name just now.

Hose Clamp on Steroids.

Yep otherwise known as mikalor clamps

#18 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:47 AM

To cut down on pipe flexing I added a flexi section just a bit back from the Y piece.

Cooperman.....sounds like your tailpipe is held up by the same type of bracket used on the 1100 of years gone by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users