Photo

Mesh/perforated Sheet Dashboard - Details? Where To Source?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:59 PM

Hey there, 

I want to keep the lines of the dashboard the same, but I want to put some speakers in the dash. So I was thinking of putting some perforated sheet in place of the leather inserts. 

I have seen something like this in pictures 

HERE

005aacaef143af966d20c87edaaed37d.jpg

and HERE

650d9795936e58b39d885d9c3260c1f1.jpg

But I cannot A) find more details about how this is done (like just want to see a build or more pictures of someone that did this), and 2) I cannot, for the life of me, find out where to source this damn material. 

Any help or information you can find would be great. I am trying to source this in the EU, so if you know where I can buy this kind of sheet, I would LOVE that. 

Thanks

Rik

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:26 PM

I would imagine that this style is achieved by starting off with a timber dashboard painted or covered and then the steel mesh is cut from a sheet and fixed over the top.

Maybe someone will come along with more details or a more accurate idea of how it was created

Cheers
Ben

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

I think it's punched aluminium sheet - Google it and see if anyone near you stocks it

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:28 PM

Just google perforated metal sheet or punched metal sheet. Loads of options in steel, stainless and aluminium.

Not that cheap though.

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

In the UK you could probably buy it from B&Q,Steve..

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:25 AM

I looked into doing this some time ago, same problem in that initially I couldn't find any anywhere. I played around with different search terms on eBay and discovered there's plenty available, IIRC 6mm or 100mm hole, I can't recall what search term I used though! Sorry not much help.

#7 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:38 AM

I like both of those, but they'll need something behind them as a battle for the speakers, both to prevent vibration and rattled and to avoid cancellation off the back of the speaker. Any speaker mounted on a holey battle will have just about zero bass, and will sound terrible

#8 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:45 AM

Just search eBay for perforated aluminium sheet there is loads on there

#9 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

I looked into doing this some time ago, same problem in that initially I couldn't find any anywhere. I played around with different search terms on eBay and discovered there's plenty available, IIRC 6mm or 100mm hole, I can't recall what search term I used though! Sorry not much help.

Thanks! I looked all over Ebay and Google and while I can find some plain cut sheets, I cant find these dark either powdercoated or tinted versions. I have found some small peices that wont work, or I need to make a bulk order. 

I like both of those, but they'll need something behind them as a battle for the speakers, both to prevent vibration and rattled and to avoid cancellation off the back of the speaker. Any speaker mounted on a holey battle will have just about zero bass, and will sound terrible

I plan on mounting the speakers to the firewall using 3d printed speaker rounds, and I am not going for anything too fancy. Just want some tunes in the car while I drive. 

Just search eBay for perforated aluminium sheet there is loads on there

I found a bunch, but none that look like these or are black that are big enough to cut out the shapes or arent impossible to ship it Italy. 

#10 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:48 PM

I think you just have to spray it black yourself

#11 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

or have it powdercoated for a hard wearing finish

#12 Crazy

Crazy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:38 PM

I work with perforated sheet we buy in by the boat load although that's not usually very thick but have a machine with the ability to perforate thicker sheet with which ever hole size required. 

#13 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

I work with perforated sheet we buy in by the boat load although that's not usually very thick but have a machine with the ability to perforate thicker sheet with which ever hole size required. 

Can you make something that looks like above?

#14 Crazy

Crazy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 08:23 PM

Can you make something that looks like above?

At the moment no we are absolutely snowed under with other work I see your actually in Rome as well, we tend to buy the perforated sheets in from Italy anyway so it may be easier for you to seek from over there. Had I do get time I can certainly try and conjure up something.

#15 nouniard

nouniard

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 05:12 PM

Love the look of that dash. I did some research and found the owner's Instagram: barbenoirecreation

In an early post he replies to a question about the dash saying it's stainless steel. I also found a couple of photos showing the completed dash outside the car.

This would be cool even as an overlay on top of an older rough dash painted/coated black to keep the original layout. Saved it in my inspiration file for future reference...

Hope this helps!

Attached File  31988093_168013267206570_4504437983511838720_n.jpg   90.14K   18 downloads

Attached File  376e9cd5924ea1867f5184785983a6e2.jpg   70.66K   20 downloads

Attached File  2d52eb1b134bd6d486c8b2fe04af4d34.jpg   74.62K   17 downloads

Edited by nouniard, 27 November 2021 - 05:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)