Photo

Mesh/perforated Sheet Dashboard - Details? Where To Source?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:59 PM

Hey there, 

I want to keep the lines of the dashboard the same, but I want to put some speakers in the dash. So I was thinking of putting some perforated sheet in place of the leather inserts. 

I have seen something like this in pictures 

HERE

005aacaef143af966d20c87edaaed37d.jpg

and HERE

650d9795936e58b39d885d9c3260c1f1.jpg

But I cannot A) find more details about how this is done (like just want to see a build or more pictures of someone that did this), and 2) I cannot, for the life of me, find out where to source this damn material. 

Any help or information you can find would be great. I am trying to source this in the EU, so if you know where I can buy this kind of sheet, I would LOVE that. 

Thanks

Rik

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:26 PM

I would imagine that this style is achieved by starting off with a timber dashboard painted or covered and then the steel mesh is cut from a sheet and fixed over the top.

Maybe someone will come along with more details or a more accurate idea of how it was created

Cheers
Ben

#3 KTS

KTS

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

I think it's punched aluminium sheet - Google it and see if anyone near you stocks it

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:28 PM

Just google perforated metal sheet or punched metal sheet. Loads of options in steel, stainless and aluminium.

Not that cheap though.

#5 sonscar

sonscar

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 September 2021 - 10:16 PM

In the UK you could probably buy it from B&Q,Steve..

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:25 AM

I looked into doing this some time ago, same problem in that initially I couldn't find any anywhere. I played around with different search terms on eBay and discovered there's plenty available, IIRC 6mm or 100mm hole, I can't recall what search term I used though! Sorry not much help.

#7 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:38 AM

I like both of those, but they'll need something behind them as a battle for the speakers, both to prevent vibration and rattled and to avoid cancellation off the back of the speaker. Any speaker mounted on a holey battle will have just about zero bass, and will sound terrible

#8 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:45 AM

Just search eBay for perforated aluminium sheet there is loads on there

#9 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

I looked into doing this some time ago, same problem in that initially I couldn't find any anywhere. I played around with different search terms on eBay and discovered there's plenty available, IIRC 6mm or 100mm hole, I can't recall what search term I used though! Sorry not much help.

Thanks! I looked all over Ebay and Google and while I can find some plain cut sheets, I cant find these dark either powdercoated or tinted versions. I have found some small peices that wont work, or I need to make a bulk order. 

I like both of those, but they'll need something behind them as a battle for the speakers, both to prevent vibration and rattled and to avoid cancellation off the back of the speaker. Any speaker mounted on a holey battle will have just about zero bass, and will sound terrible

I plan on mounting the speakers to the firewall using 3d printed speaker rounds, and I am not going for anything too fancy. Just want some tunes in the car while I drive. 

Just search eBay for perforated aluminium sheet there is loads on there

I found a bunch, but none that look like these or are black that are big enough to cut out the shapes or arent impossible to ship it Italy. 

#10 71Pickup

71Pickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:48 PM

I think you just have to spray it black yourself

#11 johnR

johnR

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:02 PM

or have it powdercoated for a hard wearing finish

#12 Crazy

Crazy

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:38 PM

I work with perforated sheet we buy in by the boat load although that's not usually very thick but have a machine with the ability to perforate thicker sheet with which ever hole size required. 

#13 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

I work with perforated sheet we buy in by the boat load although that's not usually very thick but have a machine with the ability to perforate thicker sheet with which ever hole size required. 

Can you make something that looks like above?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares