#1 BiBiBiB

BiBiBiB

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:13 AM

Hi all,

I was surprised that I couldn't find this question via the search function: curious to learn what the consensus is for the best type of phone mount in the classic mini?

I'm reluctant to use a mount with suction cups on the windscreen, as the windscreen real-estate is already quite limited. 

So in short: what type of phone mount do you use? Can you post pictures? 

Thanks

#2 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:01 AM

I've just bought one of each of these for my cars.  Not powered them up yet, but build seems good. Far better than a cheap plastic Chinese part stuck to the window, and a nice USB socket for charging.  Service from supplier was top knotch.

https://www.retro-co...s/phone-holder/

Edited by humph, 14 October 2021 - 10:02 AM.

#3 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:05 AM

I`m using the steel type that fixes into the ashtray cut out with a usb connection.

Works well but rattles/buzzes at certain speeds, could do with some clear bathroom sealant to solve this problem.

#4 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:10 AM

I've just bought one of each of these for my cars.  Not powered them up yet, but build seems good. Far better than a cheap plastic Chinese part stuck to the window, and a nice USB socket for charging.  Service from supplier was top knotch.

Same as I`m using, did yours buzz when driving?

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:55 AM

Haven't got that far yet. Car is almost finished, but still a few weeks off.

When you say needs clear sealant, where do you think the buzz is coming from? You obviously think it's mechanical rather than electrical.  I may use some rubber or foam to separate any mating faces if it's not supplied. Probably fitting this weekend.

Edited by humph, 14 October 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#6 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:33 AM

I bought a retro components made for a Mk1 style top facing ashtray to fit in my innocenti....

And It doesnt fit. It is too small. Apparently Italians love to smoke and their ashtrays are double the size. 

I sent pictures and info to RetroComponents, hopefully they can either refund me or make it work. 

In the meantime, I am trying to see if I can 3d print an adapter to make it work (but I have a newborn so free time is limited). 

#7 BiBiBiB

BiBiBiB

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:38 AM

When you say needs clear sealant, where do you think the buzz is coming from? You obviously think it's mechanical rather than electrical.  I may use some rubber or foam to separate any mating faces if it's not supplied. Probably fitting this weekend.

Thanks. I found this on a local web shop. Looks good.

How is the build quality? Is the phone mount adjustable? 

#8 rock1day

rock1day

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

I definitely think its mechanical - it clamps by way of a flat bar that grips the dash top and bottom when you tighten the screw on the front.

My ashtray had a bead of silicon sealer around the inner locating flange of the dash panel (made it a pig to get out!!), but stopped any vibrations.

It`s a quality piece of kit to be honest and the buzz reduces when a phone is in the holder - I think clear sealer will stop it completely.  

#9 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

Im using a magnetic ball type mount on later type dash panel.Attached File  primecablesmagneticmount_900x.jpg   26.49K   1 downloads

https://overdriveaut...all-phone-mount

I like the discreet look on dash when phone not placed and only a thin metal disk on back of phone case. Holds extremely well, never moves around underway and has never fallen off.

The repurposing of ashtray as phone holder is good, but i've already done that to mine to mount my tachometer pod.

#10 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

I just use a cheap and cheerful magnetic phone holder which is stuck with an adhesive pad to the upper dash rail. You can see it just to the right of the ash tray in this photo.

vlZ8Y7t.png

I can perch my phone in portrait or landscape orientation and it doesn't interfere with my forward vision so it works well.

#11 hulsmeier

hulsmeier

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:04 PM

I used a 3d printed ashtray blank and a bicycle phone holder. I then mounted the holder on the ashtray blank.

#12 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 12:20 PM

I made this one:

https://www.theminif...htray-aperture/

#13 Bunji81

Bunji81

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 10:40 AM

Im using a magnetic ball type mount on later type dash panel.attachicon.gif primecablesmagneticmount_900x.jpg

https://overdriveaut...all-phone-mount

I like the discreet look on dash when phone not placed and only a thin metal disk on back of phone case. Holds extremely well, never moves around underway and has never fallen off.

The repurposing of ashtray as phone holder is good, but i've already done that to mine to mount my tachometer pod.

I use the same one and found it works a treat, the magnet holds the phone firmly when climbing over speed bumps and out of potholes. 

#14 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 April 2022 - 11:11 AM

In this age of mobile camera(police and public)users I find the best phone mount is in the boot,But I am bordering on a Luddite(google it)Steve..

#15 montyc

montyc

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:52 AM

I dismantled an old mount and attached it to the swivel ashtray on the dash then glued the ashtray closed. Keeps it out of the windscreen and actually looks fairly neat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users