Photo

How To Get Instrument Cluster Out Of '93 Cooper Dash?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bergxu

bergxu

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:33 PM

Hi lads,

Fuel nor temp gauge are working. The car is new to me and I don't want to drive it yet until I have both of those operational. Car is a '93 SPi. Seems that from my reading the Nippon gauge is likely faulty, so I'd like to remove the cluster and send it out for repair (I'm in the US but we've got a handful of good instrument shops I've used here before). Can anyone guide me on removal of the cluster? The car has the wood fascia so don't want to go messing about till I've got instruction on hand! 

Cheers,
Aaron

Edited by bergxu, 21 October 2021 - 02:34 PM.

#2 Blake71

Blake71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

The cluster will be screwed into the back of the dashboard and you'll need to remove it to separate the two. Three nuts to undo to accomplish this, remove the radio as there's one behind there that attaches to the bottom dash rail there's also one under the dash on the drivers side tucked in tight behind the fuse box likewise there's one in the same location on the passenger side (same regardless of LHD or RHD). Wiggle the dash out once you've pushed the bolts clear, there's also a serrated bracket that pushes against a lip holding the top of the dash in place. Again just give the dash a tilt and a wiggle and it should come out, there's nothing to undo as such.

Take out the speedo cable unplug everything and job done.

Edited by Blake71, 21 October 2021 - 03:57 PM.

#3 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:05 PM

Since both fuel and temp guages are out, suspect the voltage regulator (10v output) is dead as it powers only these two units. There is a modern electronic solid state version available (Minispares but likley US sellers). Original is electro-mechanical so can/do eventually fail. There is also an old thread somewhere describing how to solder in a 10volt regulator (available from most electronics parts suppliers or on line) to the circuit panel yourself.

#4 bergxu

bergxu

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:10 PM

Thanks gents, I was under the impression that the ‘93 didn’t have an external voltage regulator and that it was integral to the Nippon Seiki instruments? Am I wrong?

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:12 PM

Here, this will help. The instructions are for the MPI but it should be similar. Checkout page 361 of the PDF.

https://www.theminif...attach_id=68239

By the way, this is the manual for the SPI. You will need it.  :whistling:  

http://miniscene-unt...anual_92-96.pdf

#6 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:34 PM

Thanks gents, I was under the impression that the ‘93 didn’t have an external voltage regulator and that it was integral to the Nippon Seiki instruments? Am I wrong?

Thread I was thinking of, specifically replacing the injection model, Nippon instrument voltage reg:

https://www.theminif...tage-regulator/

#7 bergxu

bergxu

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:08 AM

Many thanks gents! I’ll get on this over the weekend!!!

#8 bergxu

bergxu

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

Having a read of the manual, it wants you to remove the steering column in order to pull the wooden fascia. Is this really necessary?

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 October 2021 - 12:58 PM

Having a read of the manual, it wants you to remove the steering column in order to pull the wooden fascia. Is this really necessary?

Not if you're careful.

#10 bergxu

bergxu

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:00 PM

Not if you're careful.

Cheers thanks!

#11 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:49 PM

It is just the three fixtures as described above. No need to start dismantling anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users