#1 8mini

8mini

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

Hi, I am from Australia and new here.

I have a question about replacing the lower arm bushes, can i replace them without removing the hubs?

Thanks

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:15 AM

Hi and welcome to our forum, another from down under :proud:

Yes you can. You can do them - just - by removing the lower inner arm pin, changing the bushes and fitting it all back together, however, for the sake of 2 more nuts and splitting the lower ball joint, I'd suggest removing the arm, then you can give it a good clean up and also clean that part of the subframe as I could imagine there'd be a build up of grease and oil there.

Be aware that there's 2 types of bushes - up to 1967, and from 1967 on. The early bushes are a parallel 'top hat' looking bush where as the later types are conical shaped with a steel insert.

#3 8mini

8mini

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:57 AM

It is a 1998 Japanese import.

Have ordered 4 x https://www.minispar...82.aspx|Back to

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

I wasn't actually aware Mini Spares were offering these bushes as a direct replacement for the Rubber types, however, give the quality of what they have been supplied, I can see why they have gone down this road. There are still good OEM Quality Rubber Bushes out there.

I have to say though, I'm not a fan of Urethane Bushes. I'll add here that I did work with Nolans to help them develop their range of Urethane Bushes long ago. While they still manufacture this range to this day, however, I came away from the exercise not terribly impressed with them. Here's some info on the down side of Poly Bushes;-

zQedLBt.jpg

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 28 October 2021 - 04:44 AM

I’ve been using the same poly bushes on the lower arms. They’ve lasted a couple of years so far, the rubber didn’t even last 12 months.

In the case of the lower arm bushes, both rubber and poly use a metal sleeve as the pivot, so the shear properties of rubber aren’t an issue here?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

In the case of the lower arm bushes, both rubber and poly use a metal sleeve as the pivot, so the shear properties of rubber aren’t an issue here?

I can't speak for the poly bushes that have the steel insert, however with the rubber ones, no. The sleeves in the rubber types are a little longer than the plain shank of the lower pin, so when done up, they are (or should be) pinched firm so they don't rotate.

I have had the rubbish rubbers that perish before I managed to get the wheels on a car I was doing some restoration work on. The current types I'm using are OEM Quality and have proven themselves to last quite well.

#7 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:22 PM

I bought both the standard rubber and poly.  I've fitted the rubber initially, but noticed the typical external  split as soon as they were torqued up - no lower arm play though, so I'll see how they fare.

#8 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:34 PM

I can't speak for the poly bushes that have the steel insert, however with the rubber ones, no. The sleeves in the rubber types are a little longer than the plain shank of the lower pin, so when done up, they are (or should be) pinched firm so they don't rotate.

I have had the rubbish rubbers that perish before I managed to get the wheels on a car I was doing some restoration work on. The current types I'm using are OEM Quality and have proven themselves to last quite well.
I’ll have to have a closer look next time I’m working on them, always something new to learn!

This is the comparison
48534486112_cc18027280_b.jpg

#9 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

I’ll have to have a closer look next time I’m working on them, always something new to learn!

This is the comparison
48534486112_cc18027280_b.jpg

Yes exactly the same here.

#10 8mini

8mini

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:43 PM

The old ones

Attached Files

#11 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:58 PM

No steel inserts?

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:54 PM

No steel inserts?

I'd say they are rusted on to the pins.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:36 AM

I just snapped this pic off not 10 minutes ago.

These I fitted in 2016 and have done about 30 000 hard km since

dm2Qvya.jpg

Granted, they are showing cracks on the very outside part you can see (and even the factory items did this), but they are still tight as a drum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users