#1 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 08 November 2021 - 11:18 PM

As per the title, has anyone had experience using this stuff, sounds great on paper  isocyanate free (still requires the use of a P2 minimum respirator) which is my main reason for wanting to use it. It is touted as being non porous and as such is very suitable for the home/garage restorer who may not be able to work in the same time scales as a pro body shop. Pros and cons? I will be having the shell professionally painted so will only be using the primer on areas of the restoration where bare metal is exposed. Many thanks in advance

Stuart   

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:47 AM

It’s an epoxy primer so is a good product, if you are having car professionally painted I would speak with chosen painter as they may have a preferred primer.

#3 nev100

nev100

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:42 PM

Yes, I used it on my restoration.
Great stuff.

I also used the 121 on the underside.

I had my Van professionally painted and the painter remarked that the 421 was tough stuff.

I'd highly recommend

#4 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the reply's gents much appreciated,

think I will give it ago and order some tonight, it was the ease of applying the 421 from a health and safety point of view that first drew me to it along with the fact they state its not porous (apparently some 2k primers are not which goes against most of what I have read on the net) Have done the undersides with Bilt Hambers Electrox followed by their epoxy mastic, I have had good results with all of the Bilt Hamber products that I have used. Like I said I will only be spraying where there is bare metal leaving the final primer coat/s and flatting to the folk who know what they are doing, not got the room to do the job myself. 

Thanks again     

#5 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:47 PM

Any epoxy primer will do the same job.
I use lechler 29107 which comes in pretty much any colour you want and is about £15 + vat a litre

#6 hulsmeier

hulsmeier

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:01 PM

Any epoxy primer will do the same job.
I use lechler 29107 which comes in pretty much any colour you want and is about £15 + vat a litre

+1 for the lechler. I sprayed a lot of my panelwork with this. It's great stuff.
For areas you don't see that may need a bit extra protection I used a marine epoxy made by Jotun. Both are great, but would steer away from the Jotun for body work you see.

#7 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:20 PM

Did have a look at the Lechlers stuff and whilst I doubt you are not wrong and the product is excellent in every respect my main reason for using the 421 was for health and safety reasons. I don't have a pro workshop to work in and my garage can only be ventilated by opening or partially opening the doors at either end the cost of the paint is from my point of view imaterial but I feel the extra  cost is worth it for a bit of peace of mind and that I'm using a product where I can accommodate the health and safety parameters for it including the P2 rated respirator/mask. Did try downloading the data sheets for the Lechlers but would have had to register on their site for the pleasure of doing that.  

#8 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 02:08 PM

Epoxy is epoxy mate.
It's 2k in that it comes with an activator but it's not 2k as in isocyanates.
Oh and I got the price wrong,it was £12+vat per litre plus the activator,2-1 mix

Edited by Vanman20, 12 November 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#9 hulsmeier

hulsmeier

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:50 AM

Did have a look at the Lechlers stuff and whilst I doubt you are not wrong and the product is excellent in every respect my main reason for using the 421 was for health and safety reasons. I don't have a pro workshop to work in and my garage can only be ventilated by opening or partially opening the doors at either end the cost of the paint is from my point of view imaterial but I feel the extra  cost is worth it for a bit of peace of mind and that I'm using a product where I can accommodate the health and safety parameters for it including the P2 rated respirator/mask. Did try downloading the data sheets for the Lechlers but would have had to register on their site for the pleasure of doing that.

I had the same concern however as Vanman20 mentions epoxy isn't the same as 2k and doesn't contain isocyanates. This is what led me to Lechlers epoxy primer

#10 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the response's to be honest it is a bit of a minefield out there and the terms 2k and epoxy create a good deal of confusion for a good many folk, having looked on other Forums in the last day or so people talk of 2K and epoxy from what I can make out and put me right if I'm wrong epoxy goes on bare metal as a sealer and is difficult or almost impossible to sand where as 2k is a build primer, porous and easily sanded? As an aside which paints contain isocyanates as a former blood cancer sufferer its important I steer clear of anything that requires anything more than the safety requirements I am limited too in my garage.    

#11 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:14 AM

Isocyanates don't cause cancer,they can cause asthma and breathing problems.
https://www.hse.gov....isocyanates.htm
You can spray epoxy over anything.
I sometimes don't even bother overcoating it with 2k primer... if it's a small area or an new panel for instance.
It is harder to sand but not impossibly so

#12 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the help gents, penny has dropped now.

Cheers all

Stuart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users