#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:51 AM

"The Highway Code is set to undergo a major shake-up in the New Year, giving overtaking - or undertaking - cyclists going straight on a right of way over drivers turning into junctions.
The Highway Code revisions also include a new Hierarchy of Road Users, which implies automatic culpability for drivers in accidents with more vulnerable road users (cyclists or pedestrians), while another change states drivers should stop and give way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road before turning into or out of junctions. The final major change will be establishing guidance on safe passing distances and speeds when overtaking cyclists or horse riders.
A statutory instrument has been laid before Parliament that means the updated Highway Code will come into effect on 29 January 2022, but there’s no official plan to communicate the changes until they actually come into force."
https://www.autoexpr...ts-when-turning

vgDef6p.jpg

#2 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:59 AM

reading this article seems to be more about considerate driving, which most of us probably do anyway. it may also get rid of 'smidsy' style accidents as peolpe may use mirrors when turning right

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,373 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:31 AM

Mixed view on this,

It makes sense and only requires drivers to read the road as they should already be doing; to check mirrors & blind spots before turning; to not overtake when they intend turning.

It's going to take a brave cyclist to put their trust in drivers following the rule, expect hesitation & stand offs that will undermine adherence. An indicator we're about to see a lot more cycle lanes?

2 has always been the law hasn't it?   :huh:

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

I remember reading the Highway Code back in the 80s and pedestrians, cyclists, and Horses had right of way over motorised vehicles.

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 02:55 PM

Most of this does seem like commonsense but H3 concerns me the most.

If you are already in place to make a right turn, indicating right and just waiting for the oncoming traffic to find yourself a suitable gap and you are timing yourself to get into that gap especially when the oncoming traffic is fast. Then a cyclist comes at speed on the outside intending to go straight on because a cyclist now has priority and just ploughs on and they aren't always the most visible road user.

I forsee problems ahead.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 17 December 2021 - 03:00 PM.

#6 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

I still won't be passing cars at junctions, whether I have the right of way or not, it's plain daft imo.

#7 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:14 PM

I remember reading the Highway Code back in the 80s and pedestrians, cyclists, and Horses had right of way over motorised vehicles.

I passed in 1997 and it was the same then. You had to give way to pedestrans crossing roads you were turning into. When did it change? Are these just reinstatement of old rules?

None of the 'new' rules bother me, but this statement from the text does, "which implies automatic culpability for drivers in accidents with more vulnerable road users (cyclists or pedestrians),"  I have friends who are serious cyclists and have all the gear to keep them safe and they cycle responsibly, when it comes to people like these this text doesn't bother me. However most of the cyclists around us a scallies dressed on black with no lights riding down the middle of the road, the thought of being automatically culpable for hitting them whilst driving legally in my car gets my goat.  Don't even get me started on the just eat riders on their branded bikes that have no lights. What kind of responsible company sends their employees our on unsafe equipment?

#8 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:40 PM

You had to give way to pedestrans crossing roads you were turning into. 

IIRC, you only had to give way to pedestrians if you were turning left into a side road?

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:41 PM

Just found the free online version of the current Highway Code here so now I can chuck my pristine 1974 copy away!
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/

This old Highway Code page below with the 'I want to turn left' hand signal always amused me, as you slap your front seat passenger in the face!  :lol:

Ik1hlGw.jpg

I remember I was instructed to start using hand signals on my driving test but after just a couple of hand signals I forgot and went back to using indicators, then a few minutes later the examiner said, 'You can stop using hand signals now'....

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:20 PM

From the 30th of January next year, when I drive I shall 'self identify' as a pedestrian.

#11 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 01:27 PM

reading this article seems to be more about considerate driving, which most of us probably do anyway. it may also get rid of 'smidsy' style accidents as peolpe may use mirrors when turning right

I doubt this will reduce smidsy style accidents. These are mostly the result of people looking for perceived threat's, which when driving cars, vans, etc will be anything the same or larger than your vehicle. Motorcyclists and cyclists blend into the background all too easily and there aren't enough on the roads to remind people to be alert to them.

Not turning/cutting Infront of a cyclist is just good etiquette when driving. Anyone who does that to another road use is just an arse hole and probably in an Audi. The only query I have on this is at what point does it become turning Infront of a cyclist rather than just turning with a cyclist behind you?

Edited by Mito, 18 December 2021 - 01:28 PM.

#12 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 02:13 PM

I doubt this will reduce smidsy style accidents. These are mostly the result of people looking for perceived threat's, which when driving cars, vans, etc will be anything the same or larger than your vehicle. Motorcyclists and cyclists blend into the background all too easily and there aren't enough on the roads to remind people to be alert to them.

Not turning/cutting Infront of a cyclist is just good etiquette when driving. Anyone who does that to another road use is just an arse hole and probably in an Audi. The only query I have on this is at what point does it become turning Infront of a cyclist rather than just turning with a cyclist behind you?

arguably, it would be when the cyclist feels compelled to take action as a result of being turned in front of

#13 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:07 PM

arguably, it would be when the cyclist feels compelled to take action as a result of being turned in front of

Agreed, it's the same as 'am I too close to that car in front', or 'did I squeeze through a gap that was too small'?

#14 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:15 PM

It's OK making changes to the highway code, but who is going to police them, it is rare these days to make a journey without witnessing poor driving, adding more rules are a waste of time unless they are enforced.

#15 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 04:32 PM

rules and laws do not exist to be policed, they exist to provide guidance to people on what is considered acceptable behaviour, with the understanding that they may be liable to penalty if they do not comply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users