#1 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

I have completed the replacement of inner and outer sills and welded in a new A post. With door bolted in place I have good gaps all around. I do not yet have the wing or A panel welded in place.

When I open the door it drops about 5-6 mm (1/4"?). Is this to be expected without the wing being properly welded in place?

As always, your help is appreciated.

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:09 PM

Are the hinges good?The door post should have enough shape and strength to support the door.The A panel will help but it should be OK without it.I would try to localise the movement.Steve..

#3 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:56 AM

The hinges are good. I'll get someone to open and close the door while I watch for what is moving. I can't watch it and swing the door at the same time.

Will report back probably after Christmas. Gotta get ready for that big day.

#4 hulsmeier

hulsmeier

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like it could be the hinge pivot or even the striker plate.
If the pivot is worn it could lead to that kind of movement across the door when opening and closing
Also check if the door has resistance when closing against the striker plate. It could be that this is in a different position so when you're pulling it from the striker latch the door falls down. I had both things with my doors.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 December 2021 - 08:27 PM

Any shims under the hinges?? If the door drops and the hinges are sound then two things, as mentioned either the striker plate needs adjusting or you need to shim the hinges.

To me if the striker has not been touched and you have welded in a new A post then your problem is there.

#6 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:26 PM

Also remember a stripped door will act and line up differently than a fully built up one .

#7 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 01:41 AM

I managed to get a helper to move the door up and down while I watched what was happening. I was wrong. What I thought was a good upper hinge was not good. I removed the door and took off the hinges. The upper hinge has a worn pin. I was amazed to see the pin is nothing more than a roll pin. I expected a solid pin.

I ordered four pins from a local fastener supplier. When I get them inserted I'll put the door back on and post the results. The pins will be in stock on Tuesday.

Until then, Merry Christmas!

#8 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 10:31 PM

Well, the problem is deeper than the hinge pins. When I removed the lower hinge this is what I saw. It's the lower hinge area. Slightly bent, cracked and rusted.

I can fix it but it but to do it right I should probably remove the door skin. This is not what I was planning on.Attached File  20211228_152342.jpg   71.12K   7 downloads

Edited by Aridgerunner, 28 December 2021 - 10:31 PM.

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 December 2021 - 08:09 AM

Typical rot,attack it from the back.Steve..

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:30 PM

Well, the problem is deeper than the hinge pins. When I removed the lower hinge this is what I saw. It's the lower hinge area. Slightly bent, cracked and rusted.

I can fix it but it but to do it right I should probably remove the door skin. This is not what I was planning on.attachicon.gif 20211228_152342.jpg

Judging by what i see there, your hinge dropping issue wont stem from there unless the reinforcement has come adrift at the back but even then it would take some serious cracking etc for that to happen.

Now this is speaking from experience and this is what you will find behind that rot you see. Oh and yes is agree skin off time as there will be more rot lurking than meets the eye.

So this is a seriously cracked door and no it had not dropped at all.

b326cbad814dcd4a6dc09b5dd22211de68f77e7b

And as you can see in the nest picture the door carcass had further rot that you could not see.

2ecb77c75fd196e6608865d42d67d4a35433fcc3

And this is what you will find underneath

81e1322439379563ff3cd02c684f179a15a84993

Everything that you see here was repaired with fabricated repair sections all from 0.9mm thick steel.

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:32 PM

And this was how bad the other door was and again no door dropping issues either

91a4e7d5ed858ece6d7dc6fc7d9e4677af0892f9

#12 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:04 PM

Thanks Niel. Those pictures are a big help. I'll get cracking on it! Pun intended.

Thanks again.

Bill

#13 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 01:10 AM

I skinned it. Now I need to repair the rust and install a new skin. After I get a new a skin, which could take a month or so. Shipping from the UK to here is taking a looong time now days.

Attached Files

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 December 2021 - 09:02 PM

Yup those returns need to be replaced and if the bottom is bad internally then repair that as well.The magnum repair sections for the bottom are ok, not the best but certainly useable. You do need add extra material at both ends as well.

However if your good with a folder you can fabricate your own but bear in mind there is a slight curve to the bottom return there. I have made my own and used magnums as well. Having a shrinker and stretcher helps.

#15 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:55 AM

Actually the bottom is good because at some time in it's life someone Waxoyled it. The stuff was about 1/8" thick. I need to rebuild the flange on the hinge end and a small section of flange on the very bottom. Too bad the Waxoyl didn't get in those areas. I don't see how it could.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users