24 replies to this topic

#1 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:01 PM

What do people use to heat there workshop or garage during these cold times?

Need to think about something to heat my garage up, it was way to cold today.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:20 PM

I've got a diesel heater like this https://www.ebay.co....m/163687483643? . Heats up my double garage and lasts for about 30 hours per gallon of diesel. just needs an exhaust out the garage.

#3 1968andyf

1968andyf

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:26 PM

Depends really on size and position of your garage I just use a couple of electric oil filled radiators, but mines timber and well insulated

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:35 PM

oh you need an oil heater as said above. teh one i use is like this one

CLCIK HERE

has a timer and everything, eco mode etc...

dont get cold!

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:46 PM

Whatever you end up using be aware that sporadic heating can cause condensation.Steve..

#6 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

Whatever you end up using be aware that sporadic heating can cause condensation.Steve..

Yeah something I've been thinking about cheers for pointing it out. Just need to figure he I can minimise it.

#7 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:16 PM

I personally haven't tried one but when I used to be a sales rep visiting freezing cold garages and workshops all day I was always impressed when standing under or next to an Infrared heater.
They seem to warm you up without wasting a load of energy warming the air around you.

Might be worth some researching?

#8 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2022 - 08:45 AM

I simply have an electric heater from LIDL to keep things above 5 deg. Celsius; I tend to dress warm and keep moving :-). Are these oil/diesel heaters cheaper to run? Garage is wind tight but not insulated, so I didn't see the point in heating it up much.

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:05 AM

I have a wooden one insulated with a damp proof membrane in the floor with a small fan heater. I put the heater on the bench and it warms the upper half of the space. Don’t put it lower as the warm air will very quickly condense on the freezing cold metal parts under the car causing it to surface rust everything not painted very quickly.

#10 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:12 AM

Set of ski thermal underwear. Makes a massive difference. Don't walk on bare concrete. Put cardboard down.
For heating...a space requires X amount of watts to heat so the cheapest form of fuel is whats best.
Having said that if you are keeping the doors shut just a little fan heater. Its quick and cheap and once it is comfortable just turn it off. It will only take a couple of minutes.

#11 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:14 AM

Yeah something I've been thinking about cheers for pointing it out. Just need to figure he I can minimise it.

I have a dehumidifier running. Its only set to take the worst away. About 65%. They also produce a bit of heat as a side which may take the edge off but only a little

#12 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:40 AM

I personally haven't tried one but when I used to be a sales rep visiting freezing cold garages and workshops all day I was always impressed when standing under or next to an Infrared heater.
They seem to warm you up without wasting a load of energy warming the air around you.

Might be worth some researching?

Yeah had a look into these as well seem to be good and for the price. It's mainly just to take the chill out the air nothing more.

#13 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:52 PM

I've got a diesel heater like this https://www.ebay.co....m/163687483643? . Heats up my double garage and lasts for about 30 hours per gallon of diesel. just needs an exhaust out the garage.

Same here - just bought one without seeing this thread as always fancied one for my campervan - but decided to test one in the garage first.

I've been very impressed with the heat output and low fuel consumption but quality is poor as you would expect for the price. I added a fuel filter as none was provided (filter cheap from ebay) however mine stopped heating the glow plug after a week or so of use and therefore would'nt start up. On inspection the plug is fine so have ordered a new control board...     I guess just be prepared to have to tinker with it if buying cheaply! luckily all the bits can be purchased cheaply too.

Edited by jonlad, 05 January 2022 - 01:53 PM.

#14 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:56 PM

I have a dehumidifier running. Its only set to take the worst away. About 65%. They also produce a bit of heat as a side which may take the edge off but only a little

Be careful if it's one made in china. I had one, bought from Frances version of B&Q (group kingfisher) their own brand, but made by "GREE" a chinese company and it caught fire in my basement.

#15 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:57 PM

https://www.cpsc.gov...operty-Damage-0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users