#1 Banzo

Banzo

Starting My Mini Up

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:02 PM

Hi there!
New owner, my first mini, I'm a general car enthusiast and needed a nice project for the winter.

It's a 2000 Cooper and has quite an interesting life, meticulously well maintained by someone in earlier years, but in last couple of years some unknown individual seems to have undone a lot of their good work! Pilfered the injection system and put an SU carb in, which is fine, but have butchered the wiring loom and generally not given it much care. Although pleasingly ghe body is solid and generally rot free having previously been tended to, by that loving owner!

Looking to restore it more to its former glory, however keen to explore twin Webber carbs or perhaps twin SU, seeking to build a Fast road spec, welcome advice and experience or anyone locally who has done similar and knows their way around these little motors.

Thanks for taking time to read, Alex.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:54 PM

You better check what the mot emissions requirements are for your car as if is says it needs to pass the injection numbers I would look at going back to injection.

but back to other carbs. For a road car you really can’t do better than a Single HIF44 on a good inlet along with a good LCB and a RC40.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 07 January 2022 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I take it the engine is an early A+ and not the MPi engine? Mainly as it's more work to splice the loom to fit aftermarket ignition-only than it is to replace the entire engine to a dizzy set up.

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:56 PM

Doesn't emmissions go on the age of the engine rather than the age of the car?  If so then as long as you can prove the age of the engine you would probably be ok.

#5 MrRussells

MrRussells

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:56 PM

Hey, I am an Essex mini owner, how are you getting on with your winter project ? 

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 12:25 PM

Doesn't emmissions go on the age of the engine rather than the age of the car?  If so then as long as you can prove the age of the engine you would probably be ok.

I have a feeling that is the case with a previously unregistered kitcar but I think you may find the OP's engine will need to comply with the car's original specs? 

#7 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:32 PM

I have a feeling that is the case with a previously unregistered kitcar but I think you may find the OP's engine will need to comply with the car's original specs? 

I've just had a look and the gov.uk website states:

If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

https://www.gov.uk/g...e#section-8-2-1

So from the above it seems that as long as the OP can prove the age of the engine they can have it tested to that standard.

#8 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 11 April 2022 - 04:35 PM

If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

So from the above it seems that as long as the OP can prove the age of the engine they can have it tested to that standard.

Oh, Ok, that's good then.

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 April 2022 - 05:26 PM

The OP said it was a 2000 MPi fitted with carbs, not an older engine fitted in a 2000 car.

So I think it will struggle to meet the MOT Emission Requirements.

Best to check it will pass an MOT before throwing money at it.

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:00 AM

Interesting, but even if that is the technically the case, try saying that to a jobsworth MOT tester, they will surely go by the reg of the car, as they may struggle to pinpoint the age of the engine, but I guess it does say you would have to be able to provide proof. You would have to find a really switched on and decent MOT tester to make that work, or if your mate happens to work at the testing station!

Edited by beardylondon, 12 April 2022 - 09:02 AM.

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 09:01 AM

dupe

Edited by beardylondon, 12 April 2022 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users