Photo

Heater Control Woes

Best Answer Ethel , 07 January 2022 - 10:55 AM

Several possibilities.

It could be as simple as wet carpets.

A coolant leak is a possibility, if it's not the matrix then it would have to track along a hose in to the heater. The under wing air intake could be split or, as it's lined with foam, it could be soaked through by water coming through the grille. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hartford6

Hartford6

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 10:36 AM

Hello Mini lovers,

I have been running my 97 Mini through the summer with no problems with the heater. Yesterday when it was cold outside I needed to demist the front windscreen. When I pulled on the 'Heater temperature control' knob the screen completely misted up with large drops of water on the screen. I have been driving for over 40 years so I'm thinking something is leaking hot water/coolant. Is it likely to be the control valve itself or the heater matrix. I cant find any water on the carpet or wetness anywhere. I'm stumped at the moment and looking for some help please.

Cheers H6

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 January 2022 - 10:55 AM   Best Answer

Several possibilities.

It could be as simple as wet carpets.

A coolant leak is a possibility, if it's not the matrix then it would have to track along a hose in to the heater. The under wing air intake could be split or, as it's lined with foam, it could be soaked through by water coming through the grille. 

#3 Hartford6

Hartford6

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for your reply TMF Team. I didn't think about that possibility so I will do some checking out this afternoon. ;-)

#4 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:56 PM

With yours being a 1997 mini I think the valve is located on the passenger side of the heater so should be easy to check if there is a problem with that.

As the problem started after you'd pulled the heat knob my guess would be a problem with the heater matrix.

#5 Hartford6

Hartford6

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:00 PM

Update for you all.  Well I was going to look at all you suggested when the Alternator decided to throw it's hand in. It has seized !! 

I managed to track down and fit a replacement and today I went to work on the heater.

Thank goodness I followed your advice regarding moisture ingress from outside as today the demister worked as it should.

Thanks everyone

#6 salient

salient

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 10:35 PM

I am fitting an mpi heater and valve to a 1970 mini but finding problems attaching the valve to the parcel shelf. Think the profile of the shelf must have changed on the mpi as there is a distinct step on my mini. Can somebody please take some photos of the mpi shelf near to where the valve stud passes through the shelf. Think I will have to re profile this area to make it fit. Help appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users