4 replies to this topic

#1 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:16 PM

I'd like to get some cavity wax or even Fluid Film sprayed inside the sills. My car has the oversills in place so no access from the "vent" louvers. I have a 360 deg nozzle on a length of tubing for this work, used it in several places like the floor cross beam, bonnet/bootlid stiffeners etc. 

Can I get good access to the inside sill area from the rear subframe bolt points at the "heel" board? What about the rear storage bin floors? Door jamb or fresh air vent openings for the "toe" board cavity? 

Cheers.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 January 2022 - 11:22 PM

Rear subframe bolts beware they may shear off if corroded.....but inside the storage bins usually has a gap in the inner sill box section which you can use to access the rear sill area, inner sill seat belt bolts also allow access inside sill further along.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,408 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:56 AM

MPIs have holes & grommets in the inner sill for that purpose, so you could do the same without worry.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:05 AM

Or drill one or two holes in each closed off vent, which will also allow the sills to drain as they should.

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:38 AM

In my experience of owning a car with over sills you are probably wasting your time injecting most things.
I cut open the ends of the flutes and injected Dinitrol.This protected everything except the inch or so where the sill was welded resulting in this strip rotting away.Every year for MOT I would cut out this strip and weld it to the floor.I am a bodger with too many elderly British sports cars and had little affinity to the Mini.
With the current situation I decided to do it right and fitted floor and new sills.The over sills were on for 15 years with annual repairs.Just do your best,your results may differ.Just my insight,Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users