8 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:11 AM

A bit of a conversation piece here, I'm just in the middle of refurbing/improving a head for the Mrs mini, the head at the moment hasn't got valve seat inserts, normally I would have them fitted but the old grey matter has been working. As we all know E10 is with us and is here to stay and over time will no doubt the percentage will get higher meaning more problems to come, I know super unleaded is E5 but again for how long, now Valvemaster+ apparently has an additive which nullifies the E problem. So the quandary is, do I fit the valve seats and run on super unleaded or not bother and just squirt a bit of Valvemaster in the tank on every fill up. Cost wise the Valvemaster puts 6p on a litre while super unleaded is around puts 15p, I'd buy the Valvemaster by the case so running out won't be a problem.

Shooter

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

How old is the head, very I assume to not have unleaded inserts. I woudl prob have inserts fitted personally, but the bigger issue with long term use of E10 is rubber parts of the fuel system perishing,,, on my old bangers if they have pre unleaded heads I just run them as normal and never had a valve recession problem, on a road car.

#3 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:39 PM

Have not heard E-fuels leading to valve issues, just rubber bits potentially degrading or corrosion of petrol tank from moisture absorption. Valve seat concerns were from lead elimination in the '80's.

Edited by Tornado99, 16 January 2022 - 09:40 PM.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 08:48 PM

I'd go for hardened valve seats for maximum reliability.  If the engine's modified, go for super unleaded for the extra octane, if not the E10 is probably fine.  Ideally get the carb and ignition tuned to suit on a rolling road suit once you've decided which fuel to use.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:39 PM

The reason for not using E10 is the possibility of rotting the rubber pipes and carb gaskets, etc. 

E5 is higher octane and thus more suitable for higher CR engines. 

Valvemaster is just a lead replacement additive whilst Valvemaster+ also includes an octane booster which is typically needed for very high CR engines as used in motor-sport.

I have not heard of Valvemaster+ negating the potential damage caused by E10 petrol. After all, the ethanol is still present and it's this which causes the damage.

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 10:17 PM

I use valvemaster plus in my 998 cooper, but also use super unleaded, valvemaster does contain a fuel stabiliser, see link below

My 12g295 was a freshly modified one without hardened seats, when I asked at workshop doing my skimming they told me to leave it as for mileage I do wouldn’t be an issue, they also said if it was an issue in the future the seats could still be done, my 1962 850 is also standard head no hardened seats and I recently stripped the head to replace valve seals, there was no problem with the seats at all, that has been ran with valvemaster plus for the last 5 or so years 

https://classicvalvemaster.co.uk/

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 February 2022 - 10:36 PM

That's interesting, I had not seen that Valvemaster+ negates the effects of ethanol, but that is the claim. 

I don't use E10 in my BMW, but perhaps I'll now run E10 with V+ and see how it wrks. Might be cheaper.

I'll keep using E5 in my Minis though.

Thanks for the link.

#8 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:27 AM

Morning (it early and I should still be in bed)

What fuel + additive would you use in a classic mini(SPI) what if it runs a CAT?

I like the link above, until I read the not for use with a CAT! I will give it a go in my old Land Rover.

#9 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 22 March 2022 - 07:12 AM

Cdrtainly interesting times ahead. Had a few issues getting through the emmissions with this new fuel.
Requires super unleaded for mot day to get hydrocarbons down enough...( i did roast it over to the test aswell )

I can see what the Government are trying to do but in reality they just appear to not like old cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users