#1 Billd22

Billd22

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:21 AM

Hi All,

Just looking to see if anyone can help me with my SPI Mini. I am just about finished restoring my SPi Mini and I can't get it to start. Its cranking over loads and has plenty of fuel and spark coming. I have checked the timing and that the leads are all correct, and this all seems to be ok. It will crank for ages but is making no attempt to fire up, not even a back fire. I have tried advancing and retarding it while cranking and still no difference. I have had the engine out during the restoration and replaced the clutch, water pump and some seals. I have also refurbed the SPI injection manifold with new water pipes and temprature sensor. Everything seems to be back in place correctly. When i switch on the key i can hear the ECU powering up and the fuel pump priming. All vacume hoses are in place and connected. The only thing i have noticed is that when i switch on the key, using a multimeter, i can see that there is 12v at the live side of the coil, but when i start to crank the engine that drops to 9.8v. I dont know if that is the problem or what would be causing this to happen. I also read somewhere that the temprature sensor in the in let manifold could cause this? The engine was running fine before the restoration.

Any help would be very much appricarted!!

Thanks in advance

#2 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:41 AM

are plugs wet with fuel after cranking? and check crank sensor ok after having flywheel off, had temp sensor short to manifold and just went to limp mode and ran very rich

#3 Billd22

Billd22

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:13 PM

Yes the plugs are getting wet. The crank sensor seems to be ok, I took it out and cleaned it. It was a bit dirty. 

I read somewhere that if the crank sensor was faulty there would be no spark at all??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users