#1 evad1980

evad1980

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:34 PM

Evening folks…

I stumbled across a mini today and long story short I made an offer which was accepted. I haven’t picked it up yet and I’m not obliged to go through with the purchase as I need to go back and check a few things over.

The main thing is that the engine has sat dry for approximately 6 years. I don’t know why but for some reason he has had it parked up with no oil in it. He reckons he has never started it and the bloke who had it before rebuilt it just before the current owner bought it. The car is very tidy, albeit needs a fair bit of work to get it on the road but it has no rust in all the usual spots and the engine does look newish for being sat so long. It has been kept under a heavy duty cover the whole time.

What’s your thoughts on an engine that has been sat this long dry? I wasn’t in a position today to try and turn the engine over as I wasn’t dressed for the occasion! Is it possible to borescope through the oil drain and see the state of the gears?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,942 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:56 PM

Not the best way to store it. First I would pop the sump plug out and see if any water comes out. Then get a borascope in there to have a look. If nothing looks bad back fill the pump with oil. Then fill to required level. Remove plugs and spin to get pressure. That’s all you can do other than strip it.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:56 PM

The gears will be the least of the problem, imo...

You want to do a dry and then wet compression check, then put some oil down the bores, then see if its seized or not.

Prime the oil pump, make sure there's the right amount of oil and other vital fluids and go for a start. There's only 2 ways it can go, it'll either not start or it'll start and run

In addition to that you'll want to prime the oil pump prior to filling it with oil and fluids...

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:02 PM

if it is seized use brake fluid in the bored to seep down. 

#5 evad1980

evad1980

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:17 PM

Thanks guys, some good info there.

I’ll make sure I do all of that once I get it… which I know I will!!

I know oil pressure is of the most importance but I’m concerned about rust due to condensation and possible seizure.

Would you get a good view of things with a borascope through the sump plug?

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:25 PM

I’ve used a cheap Chinese Wi-Fi endoscope with a 5mm camera purchased off eBay which you can view and record on your phone at under £20 they are a bargain.

Edited by Chris1275gt, 17 January 2022 - 11:28 PM.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,942 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:31 PM

I’ve used a cheap Chinese Wi-Fi endoscope with a 5mm camera purchased off eBay which you can view and record on your phone at under £20 they are a bargain.

Or https://www.aldi.co....806535480232400

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:54 AM

Blacksmith here,I would squirt oil down the plugholes and turn it by hand at least two revolutions.If it turns OK with no noises I would fill it with oil and wind it over with the starter.If oil pressure is there then I would start it.
Otherwise you are going to rebuild it anyway.What would you have done if the now owner had started it minutes before you first saw it?
I am probably on my own with this view,take my advice at your own risk.Steve..

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2022 - 09:55 AM

Useful link below on how to prime the oil pump after long term storage.

Remove plugs, disconnect the coil and crank up oil pressure on starter motor before starting the engine. If you don't get oil pressure doing this you will need to prime the oil pump, see link below.

Regaining Oil Pressure After Long-Term "Mini" Storage:-

https://www.7ent.com...ni-storage.html

#10 evad1980

evad1980

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 02:59 PM

Good information there again guys, thanks!

I did exactly that process on the link when I put my turbo lump back in my van.

Do you think there would be much chance of corrosion in the gear box due to possible condensation? I’m totally happy with getting oil pressure up, would like to hear thoughts on corrosion. Cheers.

#11 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 18 January 2022 - 03:36 PM

I put diesel in my engine bores in October and no 3 still has a generous puddle of it in there!!

I think it's definitely seized :)

I will strip it properly one day and see what it looks like from the inside. (Oh this engine sat for over 40 years and it looks like the head gasket failed at some time during this stage of "rest. Probably between bores 3 & 4!)

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 January 2022 - 04:35 PM

Good information there again guys, thanks!

I did exactly that process on the link when I put my turbo lump back in my van.

Do you think there would be much chance of corrosion in the gear box due to possible condensation? I’m totally happy with getting oil pressure up, would like to hear thoughts on corrosion. Cheers.

Personally I think it is unlikely there will be anything to worry about as the only openings are to the cylinder bores if the head ports/valves are left open to the atmosphere with no manifolds or oily rag stuffed in, assuming the rest of the block has all covers fitted....but if it really bothers you then you would have to split the block to gearbox.

Edited by mab01uk, 18 January 2022 - 04:39 PM.

#13 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 05:41 PM

I put diesel in my engine bores in October and no 3 still has a generous puddle of it in there!!

I think it's definitely seized :)

I will strip it properly one day and see what it looks like from the inside. (Oh this engine sat for over 40 years and it looks like the head gasket failed at some time during this stage of "rest. Probably between bores 3 & 4!)

might not be siezed , it maybe something bent ! defo strip it imho first. brake fluid down the bores is really thin and attacks at the rust, i dont know if diesel will be as active?

good luck !

#14 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:11 PM

Hi evad,

What would be the benefit of running the engine for you in the end? I understand that you will buy the Mini regardless to either drive it yourself or pass it on. Even if you would find that the engine would build up oil pressure and even if it runs okay, you would still not know if the engine would be safe to run. And then possible damages would have occured already. You have to disassemble at least the head and may have a good look into the gearbox and possible on bearings and piston rings. Engine and gearbox parts are getting rare and should not be put on risk.

Compare to this the enjoyment of carefully open and inspect the engine and gearbox and then run it with the good feeling that everything is fine ..

Cheers,
Christian

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 January 2022 - 07:20 PM

Buy a modernish 20k second hand car and dismantle the motor to look for problems?It could have been parked near the sea for some time.Just saying.Buy it and run it,it will probably be OK and if not then you can rebuild it.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users