#1 MrRussells

MrRussells

Passed Test

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:36 PM

Hi All 

I am looking to change the Radiator on my SPI Mini as it does not have the section to put the electric Fan sensor in. Is there any advice on doing this job as I have never tackled anything like this before. 

I am confident in doing jobs on the car (excluding welding) but want to know as much as I can before I start :) 

Thanks 

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:05 PM

Minispares sell the original type radiator with a bayonet type of fitting for the sensor.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

They also sell their version that has a screw in type sensor.

http://www.minispare.../C-ARA4443.aspx

Do you still have the wiring in place for the sensor?

Edited by MikeRotherham, 14 February 2022 - 05:06 PM.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 07:48 PM

I haven't seen the screw fit type before but the bayonet fitting is fine. I'd suggest dry fitting the sensor to the radiator first and check that the retaining 'washer' fits into the bayonet slots - the lugs that fit into the slots point slightly more in one direction. Then dismantle, install the new rad and fit the sensor. You can check the wiring by bridging across the two connections, which should switch on the auxiliary fan.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 06:16 PM

Given the option, I like the screw-in type as it eliminates the weak link of the bayonet fitting. Dry fit and you really dont have to think about it. The original wiring fits, but it is tight. 

#5 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:11 AM

I used a cooling system flush to try to solve an overheating issue and was totally frustrated trying to re-insert the bayonet-fitting temp sensor at the bottom of the rad.  I couldn't get it back in and finally pushed so hard the sensor wound up inside the rad.  I had "stocked up" on some parts and had the Mini Spares rad with the screw-in temp sensor.  So much easier and secure.  Overheating was solved with other measures but my vote goes

to the screw-in sensor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users