22 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Denver

Luke Denver

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone im after some clarification as i cant find if its been already covered anywhere on the forum, apologies if it has. I recently purchased a rc40 backbox (just the backbox not a full system) to replace my centre exit dual dip dtm exhaust and im having some problems fitting the new rc40. So my mini is a 1978 clubman and has the rubber hangers (ive included photos) i managed to get the hanger on the drivers rear side of the car too fit although it was very snug. However, the rear passenger side hanger i cannot get to securely fit (it will go on but doesn't want to stay there) so my question is do i have to change my rubber hangers to the newer ones supplied by minispares in the rc40 kit or is there a way of making the rubber hangers work that anyone knows of. Obviously it will be easier to use the hanger kit that minispares sells but i much prefer the existing rubber hangers as i think there will be less vibration as there are no metal on metal connections, also i think the rubber hangers look better as you dont have to have one of them silly looking 'U' clamps visible at the rear of the car. If i do have to use the minispares rc40 kit does anyone know a different way of attaching the exhaust at the back of the car so that i dont have to use the 'U' clamp, could i use a different type of clamp thats a little less obvious and ugly. I also wondered if anyone had or knew where to get a exhaust reducer from 2" (the size of my exhaust pipe) too 1.75" (the size of the rc40 exhaust) Thanks in advance everyone, happy to add more pictures if needed. 

Attached Files

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:22 PM

Don’t look like mini exhaust mounting to me. 

looks like something a pervious owner had bodged together.

#3 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:28 PM

The proper mini mount should bolt with two bolts to the flat part of the subframe shown in your pic, to the left of the brake pipe tee. Look for two 5/16 (Iirc) threaded holes there.

#4 Luke Denver

Luke Denver

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:58 PM

Don’t look like mini exhaust mounting to me.

looks like something a pervious owner had bodged together.

Really damn that sucks, strange how my other exhaust fitted nicely with it though as it didn’t come with the car when I bought it. Do you have any pictures I could reference of what it should look like

Edited by Luke Denver, 02 March 2022 - 11:00 PM.

#5 Luke Denver

Luke Denver

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:02 PM

The proper mini mount should bolt with two bolts to the flat part of the subframe shown in your pic, to the left of the brake pipe tee. Look for two 5/16 (Iirc) threaded holes there.

I think I know what you mean sort of in the centre of the subframe if you like looking from the rear of the car the face you can see with the brake lines running across it. Also it wouldn’t have anything to do with me having a straight through fitted would it or are all hangers in the same place regardless of the style of exhaust

#6 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:04 PM

https://images.app.g...DYQ1bsjoQoTU6AA

https://www.minispar...sic/RC40FK.aspx

All mini exhausts hang at this first middle point.

Edited by Gaz66, 02 March 2022 - 11:08 PM.

#7 Luke Denver

Luke Denver

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 09:39 AM

https://images.app.g...DYQ1bsjoQoTU6AA

https://www.minispar...sic/RC40FK.aspx

All mini exhausts hang at this first middle point.

Okay that’s great thank you any ideas how I could hang it at the back so I don’t have to use one of them ‘U’ clips

#8 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:08 AM

Your pretty much stuck with the U clamp, its how these things were designed.
You can make the U clamp pretty much invisible by putting the nuts uppermost so they are behind the rear valance.
If you really dont want to use the U clamp then you will have to fabricate an alternative bracket.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:57 AM

It is possible to replace the u-clamp with a jubilee clip with the mechanism out of sight.  Not sure if it looks much better though!
As above - I always turn the u-clamp the other way up.  More fiddly but looks much better.

#10 Luke Denver

Luke Denver

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 01:34 PM

It is possible to replace the u-clamp with a jubilee clip with the mechanism out of sight. Not sure if it looks much better though!
As above - I always turn the u-clamp the other way up. More fiddly but looks much better.

I’ll have to try that thanks

#11 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 03 March 2022 - 02:09 PM

It is possible to replace the u-clamp with a jubilee clip with the mechanism out of sight. Not sure if it looks much better though!
As above - I always turn the u-clamp the other way up. More fiddly but looks much better.

I’ll have to try that thanks

Mikalor clamps are stainless and a bit easier to clamp up tighter.

#12 mad4classics

mad4classics

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 March 2022 - 02:10 PM

Can you use the hanger conversion brackets :-

C-ARA670 front of rear subframe

C-ARA671 rear of rear subframe

#13 mad4classics

mad4classics

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 March 2022 - 02:15 PM

Duplicate post - internet slow again :shy:

Edited by mad4classics, 03 March 2022 - 02:16 PM.

#14 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 02:45 PM

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with those mounting points, they're the ones used on late subframes surely? As seen welded in the middle of these post 91 frames

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

http://www.minispare...12.aspx|Back to

Rubber mounts used

http://www.minispare...11.aspx|Back to

Some of the RC40 exhausts have corresponding lugs fitted to it for these hangers, mine certainly has, but some don't. When I fitted my RC40 to the spi the rubber hangers worked fine but I chose to use the RC40 fitting kit as the late rubber mounts mean the exhaust sits lower and catches all our local speed bumps.

Edited by humph, 03 March 2022 - 02:46 PM.

#15 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 03:11 PM

All my mini building/tuning was on pre 81 cars and now Ive returned to do it all again 30 years later Im seeing all the factory "improvements" and its really pissing me off!
Lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users