#16 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 March 2022 - 10:16 AM

But when everyone is renting their cars this type of thing will not be your problem and you will enjoy the new found freedom.Steve..

#17 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 04:26 PM

Well guys, I think that this is the tip of the iceberg. I think that as the cars have more and more technology, they will become obsolete a lot quicker. The ongoing example these days on this side of the pond is that a bunch of cars are losing their telematics capability because they use a 3G connection to "phone home". The cell phone companies are switching to the 5G technology and in order to free up the frequency spectrum needed the 3G service is being discontinued, affecting a lot of people with old phones too.
Not only that, a few weeks ago I was reading that in Seattle, Washington state, several radios on Mazdas got bricked when they tuned to a particular radio station. The reason was that the station sent image files on the HD radio frequency but the ".jpg" extension was missed. So the radio and nav system was so fragile that it broke. A replacement was $1500.00 and none of these cars are under warranty. Apparently Mazda replaced some for free but that does not seem to be the standard practice.

https://arstechnica....inment-systems/

Interesting,

Family member has recently taken her VW ID.3 in for "lost emergency call connection". I believe it's a legal requirement on new cars in the EU. You have to stick a sim card in if you want mobile interweb 'n regular calls without your phone paired.

#18 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 10:21 PM

If you’re able, put it up on stands and change the oil, buy a cheap code reader and clear the codes. Probably quicker.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:36 AM

As I read this thread a news article popped up on TV (yes, TV, remember them ?) on our AFP (Australian Federal Police) and a new Cybercrime Tech Hub that they opened today, at a cost of some many millions to the tax payers.

I shake my head.

When are we as a society going to wake up and stop this tech madness ?

Crooks have never had it so good, they don't even have to leave home !

I know this has little to do with the thread at hand, however, it's just crazy that a car which to me doesn't seem old at all is potentially destined for the scrap heap for the sake of a $2.00 cable and some code. That's just crazy, madness actually.

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 01:19 PM

If we're ok with a bit of thread drift...

Reputable radio programme I heard reckoned the lifespan of an internal combustion car is under half a dozen years before environmentally better all in to scrap it for an electric replacement. Even less, if you do US average annual mileage.

How much does cyber crime really matter when you can conjure crypto-currencies out of thin air (....and a load of electricity)? Does money actually represent anything tangible any more???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users