#16 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 06:13 AM

They plug into the fan loom if it’s like my RSP
They are probably hiding near the wiper motor.

#17 The Old Bailey

The Old Bailey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 10:04 AM

They plug into the fan loom if it’s like my RSP
They are probably hiding near the wiper motor.

Thanks Andy

the sender has 2 bullet connectors but there’s a strange plug near wiper but no female bullet receivers, I’m sure it’s something obvious I’m missing.

anyone have a pic?

Edited by The Old Bailey, 04 September 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#18 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 12:12 PM

My Mainstream Cooper has a black plastic plug near the radiator, but the new switches only seem to come with the bullet type connectors. I replaced the plastic plug with bullet connectors as I couldn't find the matching socket.

#19 super6al

super6al

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 06:41 PM

Hi 

My fan sender  plugs into these bullet connectors

Attached Files

#20 super6al

super6al

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 06:43 PM

This from an RSP cooper

#21 The Old Bailey

The Old Bailey

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2023 - 08:09 PM

Attached File  IMG_0660.jpeg   36.22K   11 downloadsI’ve this at the radiator which I haven’t figured out what it is yet, anyone any ideas?

Edited by The Old Bailey, 04 September 2023 - 08:12 PM.

#22 super6al

super6al

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:19 PM

Hi 

My fan sender  plugs into these bullet connectors

Hi 

I wasn't sure if my connections were original for the RSP but I've just found a picture with a 98 mile from new car & it's the same set up (however the Mainstream Cooper may be different).  

#23 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:38 PM

IMG_0660.jpegI’ve this at the radiator which I haven’t figured out what it is yet, anyone any ideas?

#24 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:39 PM

I reckon it’s the supply for the dim dip relay

#25 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 September 2023 - 07:15 PM

I think the dim/dip resistor connector is the round one underneath the mystery one.Long time since I looked though,Steve..

#26 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,493 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 September 2023 - 08:58 PM

I think the dim/dip resistor connector is the round one underneath the mystery one.Long time since I looked though,Steve..

It is indeed Steve, your memory is doing well 💪😁

#27 [email protected]

[email protected]

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Local Club: Long Island Mini Enthusiasts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 03:08 PM

Hi Old Bailey,

I realize this is an old thread and you might have already sorted your issue, but I just stumbled on this thread while sorting a similar problem in my '91 HIF44 Carb'd Mainstream Cooper and thought I'd share some information that I stumbled on. 

Also see the other thread here for more "how to identify info" that other posters have contributed.

You wrote (and shared a photo)...

attachicon.gif IMG_0660.jpegI’ve this at the radiator which I haven’t figured out what it is yet, anyone any ideas?

I'm thinking (only thinking - not certain) that the plug connector in your photo might be similar to this pigtail

If it is that connector, then according to Minispares, it connects to this 12mm thermostatic switch as the "...sensor for [the electric] fan and ECU fitted in sandwich plate below thermostat on twin point cars...introduced by Rover in Tech buletin 0043 for twin point cars where the fan did not work correctly"

And again, according to Minispares, that switch then screws into this MPI sandwich plate atop the thermostat on the cylinder head - the 12mm hole does point longitudinally straight out from the engine towards a wing-mounted radiator, so with that short a bit of wire, it might just be what I [only] think it is.

It's hard to tell from your photo...but it looks like yours is a RHD, with the wiper motor on the left side of the engine bay when seated in the car looking forward (on the right side when bending over the engine with your shins near the bumper)... 

But if you have a radiator there on that #1 cylinder side (as well like MY Mainstream, rather than up front at the grill), maybe you have an older Mini with a newer MPI wiring harness?

You did mention that you were in "...the final stages of my Mainstream restoration..." so did you procure a new wiring harness for your rebuild?

Long story short: MY '91 Mainstream seems to make use of THIS combination of a different thermostatic switch WITH bullet connectors that screws into the FRONT of the sandwich plate, and does NOT screw into the the side like the one I've linked to above.  It's in the shop right now, but I'll take photos of the wiring routing when I get it back. 

#28 motlymo

motlymo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 04:22 PM

Hi Ive got a 1991 carb  model Cooper with the fan sensor on the front of the sandwich plate. Unfortunately the wires to the senor have broken off at some time and there is no sign of any wiring to the electric fan. It does however have the same connector as the photo provided by The Old Bailey located next to the radiator. As with The Old Bailey the only replacement switch I can find has 2 bullet connectors. Can anyone shed any further light on this? 

#29 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:17 AM

The bullet connectors on the sensor loom fit into female connections, which on my car are just in front of the wiper motor.

#30 motlymo

motlymo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2024 - 01:28 PM

Just tested the plug on my carb Cooper which is the same as the one identified by The Old Bailey above. Switched the ignition on then stuck a paper clip into the 2 terminals and low and behold the electric fan came on. So the strange plug in The Old Baileys photo does indeed operate the aux. fan. Only problem now is finding a reasonably priced M8 threaded fan switch to go into the sandwich plate instead of having to fork out £60-£70 or so on those advertised. Ive searched high and low on the net but none so far have an m8 thread.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users