Photo
- - - - -

Recent Rebuild: Now Noise When Clutch Depressed, Trouble Finding Gears (W/video)

engine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 01:50 AM

hello - i have a '65 countryman with its original 850cc . i recently had the engine rebuilt and everything overhauled at the shop, and got a new clutch put on in the process. everything was working nicely. although sometimes it wouldnt go into 1st gear until i let go of the clutch and pressed it again. after a bit of driving, that seems to be happening more, also sometimes it just doesnt seem to find 2nd gear without a clutch release/press as well. And reverse is VERY hard to find that 'click' nowadays. Also most alarming, now there is a rattle when i press the clutch you can hear here.  

any ideas, and is this something i might be able to do myself as an amateur, or should i take it back to the shop? thx for any tips. 

Edited by soulslinga, 23 April 2022 - 01:58 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 April 2022 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like the clutch release bearing may not have been fitted correctly. And might need a bleeding again.

#3 soulslinga

soulslinga

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 07:50 PM

helllo -  wanted to follow up on this topic since i had the problem fixed. i had to replace a throughout bearing. but i had a new one in - about a month ago, during the engine rebuild, and i've only driven 20 miles since. the mechanic showed me the replacement bearing (bought from mini mania). it had failed. this cost me $650 in labor to replace!! the mechanic said the original design was better - neither of us realized this was an option. 

here is the bearing i purchased 

https://www.7ent.com...rto-grb238.html

here is the original bearing i should have purchased

https://www.7ent.com...b0238-orig.html

the noise is gone after replacing the bearing. 

any idea why this might have failed ? is this just bad bearing design? or could something have gone wrong during hte install ? 

since , according to the mechanic, i now have a non-ideal bearing inside the clutch again, i would love to know more. 

thanks for any help. 

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:33 AM

Have used both types shown. On race builds. They both work fine.

a bearing from a bad batch. Poorly fitted. Contaminated. The design is not the issue.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 May 2022 - 09:33 AM

I too have use both types without issue, though, with the latter type you've posted up, I've avoided that brand, the ones I have fitted were Timken and R&M (which were OEM).

On some covers though, they did need aligning to the Crankshaft as the spigot diameter machined in to them was a bit on the small side. The Factory had a tool for doing this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users