4 replies to this topic

#1 MichiMini

MichiMini

Starting My Mini Up

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:45 PM

As with most minis, my 70 mk3 fell victim to the rust surrounding the upper shock mounts on the front. I’ve learned this area is rather complex with all of the different panels and such joining up. No wonder it rusts. Anyways, I’ve removed the rust and am left with a pretty clean slate. Crossmember is in good nick as are the mounting flanges/holes.

Originality is not important to me. Why not just weld one thicker plate back on instead of the two original, and rust prone, thinner lapped panels?

Cheers
Scott

Attached Files

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:05 AM

As far as Mini repairs go I would say it is one of the easiest.I see no problem with welding a thicker repair in if you are confident in your abilities to butt weld the dissimilar thicknesses.
It probably went like this....single skin,test resulting in failure,reinforce,test and now OK so run with it in production.Just my view.Have fun,Steve..

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 April 2022 - 08:29 AM

This area also is commonn for rust because the shock mounts were usually fitted at the factory before the bodyshell was painted.....as Hydrolastic Minis had no front shock mounts this area did get painted.

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 29 April 2022 - 11:46 AM

i did this on mine, this area always rusts, just remember to drill holes to plug weld to crossmemeber. hold plate to crossmember with self tappers while welding

#5 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 April 2022 - 01:07 PM

My feeling is if you repair it as it was originally designed but using some rust prevention on the assembly it should be good anyway. I put a bead of seam sealer around the shock mount to prevent moisture getting back in there and you can spray cavity wax in there once welded up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users