#1 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:01 AM

Hey guys.
Just about to fit my heritage front panel. When I removed the original panel the rubbers and bolts were left in the front of the subframe and I didn’t have to remove any fixings.
Does someone have a fiche or exploded diagram of how the fixings locate the front panel? It seems that the bolts do not go through the front panel but live inside the rubber mount behind the panel. Is that correct!
If so, how would I align the front end as there are no wings or a panels or even scuttle fitted at present. I was hoping to loosely mount the panel so I could align everything back to the doors before welding.

Edited by exuptoy, 06 May 2022 - 09:02 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:54 AM

The front panel should have 2 holes per mount, 1 for a bolt & 1 for a little round stud on the mounting. If you line those up correctly the mounting will align (near enough) for a 2nd bolt through the subframe.

#3 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:09 AM

Thanks.
There are two holes in the front panel but attached to the subby are one 60mm metal washer with a rubber doughnut attached with a 13mm/1/2” nut and bolt and the other is the same without the rubber which is missing. Nothing attached though to locate through the smaller hole.

#4 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:11 AM

I just looked at the teardrop poly flex mounts on eBay. Are these worth getting or do they transfer too much noise?

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:25 AM

Those "washers" sound like half of the mounting. Remove them and the corresponding bit of the new mounting can be bolted in their place.

It's best to stick to one type of mounting i.e. all rubber for all 6 mountings, or all solid, to avoid putting excess stress on whichever would be the stiffer points.

The front rubber mountings have always been more prone to separating. A lot, including me, think Minis feel better with a solid mounted subframe as they were originally designed.

#6 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:30 AM

Thank you

#7 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:42 AM

Sorry to be a pain. I see shims advertised, is there any point buying any? Is it good practice to fit them?

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:57 AM

Sorry to be a pain. I see shims advertised, is there any point buying any? Is it good practice to fit them?

Normaly used on solid mounted early cars. Not often used on the rubber mounted ones but if things are way out of shape then they will be needed. But you want know until you fit your new mounts.

#9 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:59 AM

Solid mounting is the way.

#10 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:13 PM

The shims help if when you fit the new front panel the bonnet over hangers it slightly. There are usually good exploded diagrams on Mini Spares website

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 May 2022 - 10:14 PM

Solid mounting is the way.

Absolutely the only way if you want really good steering response and real Mini-feel.

#12 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 07:55 PM

Cheers guys.

#13 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:06 PM

Just ordered poly flex. Here Weds, hopefully the front repairs will be ready for me to fit the front end.
Any tips regarding getting the whole front end on?
Front panel, Wings, a panels, scuttle and closing panels.
Had my scuttle clamped on and all datum’s I marked when removing line up ok. All heritage panels.

#14 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:21 PM

Don’t fit poly front subframe mounts they are completely unfit for service. They’re more flexible that standard rubber mounts and will not do a good job of aligning the subframe.

Send them back and buy proper solid mounts or stick with the standard mounts.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 May 2022 - 11:22 AM

Don’t fit poly front subframe mounts they are completely unfit for service. They’re more flexible that standard rubber mounts and will not do a good job of aligning the subframe.

Send them back and buy proper solid mounts or stick with the standard mounts.

Absolutely correct. Those poly-mounts should never be sold.

If you want your Mini to steer as a Mini was intended, solid mounting is the only way. That is how is was designed to be.

Remember, rubber mountings were only introduced when the target market changed from younger drivers to older people for whom the original crisp steering was not needed.

Why poly-mounts were ever introduced is quite beyond me - you get the worst of both worlds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users