#1 bobcrumble888

bobcrumble888

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:05 PM

Hi all,

Looking for some help with some new electrical components I want to fit to the car but not sure what I need.

I want to get new; Ignition Coil, Leads and electric distrubutor (currently have points).

I know there's many options out there and I have a very limited knowledge on electrical components (more of a mechanical kind of guy)

The mini in question is a 1275GT Clubman 1979.

If anyone could suggest any components or point me in the right direction that would be great, any help is welcome.

Thanks!

Attached File  IMG_1527.jpg   77.88K   1 downloads

Edited by bobcrumble888, 06 May 2022 - 08:17 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:26 PM

Personally I'd look at fitting the electronic kits available that does away with the points and still keeps the originality of the car. (no more unreliable ignition points and having to adjust them every week).

Id look at keeping your current distributor complete BUT purchase another 2nd hand unit to fit the electronic ignition kit into. (so if you have any issues you can simply replace the distributor with the points one).

Give the coil wiring a clean (wd40 on a rag is perfect for this). Wiring from the loom should be either::

12volt coil will have a white wire on coil positive.
Or

9v pink/white (and yellow/white, on same connection) on coil positive

If you could, Post up an image of your distributor and coil so we can advise further.

Your car looks in very good order!

#3 bobcrumble888

bobcrumble888

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the response!

I would prefer to swap things for new anyway just to freshen things up anyway. Bit of piece of mind and who doesn’t like new parts hah.

I will get a picture of the set up asap

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:21 PM

The problem with new parts is they can be much less reliable than the old ones.Points are unlikely to leave you stranded,failed electronic bits more so.Not all electronic bits are poor but how do you know which ones?Just a few thoughts,Steve..

#5 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:14 PM

have run accuspark ignition module inside dizzy for years and had no problems, just keep points you are running at moment, as you know they are good, incase of failure. red rotor arm from these is also good, some aftermarket ones centre blade can loosen.

#6 bobcrumble888

bobcrumble888

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:37 AM

I decided to just  take the plunge and buy the parts after getting some advice over the phone at Minisport. They were super helpful, just let them know what the car was, the age and what I wanted to do and they told exactly what I should need. (providing they handing be changed before).

So this is what I ended up with;

Attached File  Picture1.png   171.82K   4 downloads

After fitting and some fiddling around. i got it all in. Had some concern with the lead from the coil to the dizzy, was a tight fit on the rubbers but ended up being fine.

(will upload a picture later)

Just got sort the timing out, but I might of blown the light up because I didn't read the instruction, and connected it to the coil  :ohno:

So next question is where is the best place to connect the timing light leads?

#7 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:43 AM

Just got sort the timing out, but I might of blown the light up because I didn't read the instruction, and connected it to the coil  :ohno:

So next question is where is the best place to connect the timing light leads?

I connect the timing light power lead to the solenoid, and the earth lead to one of the head studs

#8 bobcrumble888

bobcrumble888

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:42 AM

Before
Attached File  35E27C2B-D6D1-488F-A75E-C059D23292A7.jpeg   37.14K   1 downloads

After
Attached File  92288BD2-24C2-497C-9C51-F1EB89E535C6.jpeg   58.9K   1 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical