Photo

Does Anyone Make A Speaker Pod That Replaces The Vents?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 08:57 PM

Just wondering if there was an option out there already to replace the fresh air vent with a screw in speaker pod in that same space. A 3D printed part would be IDEAL, but as long as it is clean I am willing to go with whatever is out there. 

Any ideas? Anyone done something like that?

thank you for your help!

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:02 PM

what would you even put in there, a small tweeter?  not really worth the loss of cool air, surely

you'd need a bigger hole for anything that produces worthwhile amounts of sound

#3 Norfolk Boy

Norfolk Boy

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:16 PM

I have a set of Focal tweeters set in my vents, I basically cut out the flaps and glued them in. Can still adjust the direction of the speaker the same as the air vent, I have 6.5” mids in pods under the dash. Not too everyone’s taste but I like them, if you want a picture message me your email address. Cheers Graham

#4 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 01:47 PM

what would you even put in there, a small tweeter?  not really worth the loss of cool air, surely

you'd need a bigger hole for anything that produces worthwhile amounts of sound

I plan on doing a mesh dash, so I can put speakers behind and the sound will come forward. 

And If I cant get cool air from the windows, it aint coming from the engine bay routing. I plan on putting AC in eventually, after the engine swap. 

#5 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:13 PM

That seems to be a fair alternative, except of course the fresh air comes in from the wings not the engine bay, but if you're sticking in AC that's a whole new thing I guess

The mesh dash sounds like a cool idea, looking forward to seeing pictures of that but I still don't really get the necessity for having small speakers in the vent holes if you're putting other speakers (?) along the dash as well

maybe I've just misunderstood

what I have seen before though is people cutting larger significant speaker holes in the flitch panels and have dishes behind to enclose it

#6 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 May 2022 - 12:42 PM

That seems to be a fair alternative, except of course the fresh air comes in from the wings not the engine bay, but if you're sticking in AC that's a whole new thing I guess

The mesh dash sounds like a cool idea, looking forward to seeing pictures of that but I still don't really get the necessity for having small speakers in the vent holes if you're putting other speakers (?) along the dash as well

maybe I've just misunderstood

what I have seen before though is people cutting larger significant speaker holes in the flitch panels and have dishes behind to enclose it

i want to do this: https://www.theminif...e/#entry3705319

and have speakers behind the mesh. I dont want vents at all in the dash, but I want to replace the open holes with speaker mounts. 

Also, my "fresh air" is routed from behind the grill, then through the wings, and then to the dash. Lots of plastic piping for stinky exhaust gas that isnt much cooler than the air in my car. Also, I have the tiny vent windows that come on Innocenti's so those are giving me more fresh air than those vents ever did. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users