#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:04 PM

Hi All

Whats everyones opinion on this little disaster on the way to L2B ?
these tyres have done less than 700 miles... yes they are date stamped 0215 but thats not exactly 20 years ago and they were not fitted to a car until last year... I purchased them 'used' from someone who sold their project car but had these wheels&tyres still with the stickers on... 700 miles later and both fronts failed at 60mph on the m25
pressures were checked before leaving
no early warning signs, I had gone from Mid Norfolk to just past Clacket lane services when suddenly everything went very wobbly and both fronts had failed in dramatic style... the passenger side steel wire also has caused some pretty nasty damage to the wheel arch which is a pain

Is this a case of avoid the Made In China tyres??
or is 6 years of no use (not fitted to a car so no flat spots) somehow caused them to lose any structural integrity 

Just seems very alarming for what id consider 'new' tyres... with no signs of cracking or early warning before they fell apart

20220516-155402.jpg

20220514-145145.jpg

[url=https://postimg.cc/PLh2BPnQ]20220516-155340.jpg

#2 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:05 PM

received-1034554054109804.jpg

#3 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:10 PM

30 odd years ago when I was skint I bought some remoulds for the first mini.
They lasted 2 weeks and were like yours.

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:43 PM

Lucky escape, I hope you're ok. There are many reasonable budget tyre brands from China that are fitted by the national tyre chains and perform ok. Obviously these don't fall into that category!

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:53 PM

I think your major problem is that you bought them second hand, you'll never know if they were curbed etc, Camac are not the best but should still be structurally sound.

Shooter

#6 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:54 PM

Are you saying both tyres failed at exactly the same time? Sounds a tad unusual.

Well here it says below that 6 years is time to change, but like all occasional mini drivers, I’ve had tyres up to 10 years plus, with loads of tread left, and they have been fine. I guess it depends how they were stored up until you bought them.

https://www.tuningbl...ire-age-372652/

Sure you didn’t hit something, as I’ve never heard of both fronts failing at exactly the same time.

#7 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:23 PM

I think your major problem is that you bought them second hand, you'll never know if they were curbed etc, Camac are not the best but should still be structurally sound.

Shooter

they were unused and still had the stickers on when i got them 'used' the guy had put them on the rims but his project never made it off axl stands then he sold off everything.. so no chance of flat spots of curb damage.

Are you saying both tyres failed at exactly the same time? Sounds a tad unusual.

Well here it says below that 6 years is time to change, but like all occasional mini drivers, I’ve had tyres up to 10 years plus, with loads of tread left, and they have been fine. I guess it depends how they were stored up until you bought them.

https://www.tuningbl...ire-age-372652/

Sure you didn’t hit something, as I’ve never heard of both fronts failing at exactly the same time.

well... the passenger side failed (photo with the grass) as thats where I ended up on the M25.. RAC came and was a mini guy himself so got me his spare from home! We didnt check the drivers side as that was on the live M25 traffic side, but as we drove off I could tell something was still not happy as it was very wobbly at low speed.. luckily the place where I got a couple of used wheels to continue my weekend wasnt far, but when we got there and looked the drivers side had become how you see in the 2nd photo.. still holding air but steel coming out and had lost its structure so was shaped more like a bike tyre.. very odd

Definitely didnt hit anything, or at least nothing significant that I noticed like a pot hole etc.. was quite happily going along at maximum of 60mph as thats where my car is happiest with tempts/noise and it suddenly became like riding an angry shark

Edited by TheFabMini, 16 May 2022 - 10:25 PM.

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 May 2022 - 10:45 PM

Maybe they were damaged structurally when fitted to the rims badly....many tyre fitting places no longer have the correct tools to fit 10" tyres, or maybe the guy that sold them to you may have done a bodge DIY job?

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:36 AM

Just a thought,they weren't seconds suitable for trailers at less than 25 mph?Some years ago this was a problem with tyres for 70,s jaguar xj6.Steve..

#10 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:31 AM

Just a thought,they weren't seconds suitable for trailers at less than 25 mph?Some years ago this was a problem with tyres for 70,s jaguar xj6.Steve..

Rating on the sidewall is 69T so that should be good for 100mph+

#11 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 17 May 2022 - 06:32 AM

It's pretty common for spare tyres to have similar failures, they sit around brand new for years and fail on the first use. That's why I always suggest to buy new tyres when your project is complete, and not let them sit unused for years until you finish it

You'll see a very similar photo to yours here of an age related failure
https://motoiq.com/w...really-matters/

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:20 AM

There is no legal maximum age for tyres to become unusable or illegal on road cars. It's down to physical condition. I've just change a set of front tyres, less than half worn due to cracking in the base of the tread. Other signs are cracking showing on the walls around the circumference. The article previously mentioned is vague but says that tyres can still pass the TUV (MOT) at 10 years old if in good condition.

Those tyres are 7 years old and have failed. They could have been outside in the sun before you bought them. Who knows.

#13 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 May 2022 - 10:54 AM

The rating on the tyre is when it is perfect,seconds fit for agriculture used to be stickered as so.The jag tyres came from other countries and became " new" again.Just a thought,Steve..

#14 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:58 PM

I have theses Marshall KR11 since 2017 now and they still look in prety well condition after 3000 km

#15 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:11 PM

I have theses Marshall KR11 since 2017 now and they still look in prety well condition after 3000 km

Maybe I was just unlucky with a bad pair... I appreciate there's lots of factors involved like age and how they may have been stored... but it seems really unusual for 2 tyres to fail with 700 miles of use, all well within their weight/speed rating and no obvious signs of degrading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users