#1 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 09:41 AM

Hi all.

my 97 MPI that I’m restoring needs a new rear subframe, the old one is too far gone.

there are a lot of different ones available, genuine, after market, standard and sports pack ones.

what’s the difference between standard and sports pack ? Mine is not a sports pack but will be getting wide wheels and sports pack arches.

and are aftermarket ones OK ? Do all the holes line up ? 

Pete

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 12:39 PM

Unable to help on the specific questions and depending on your needs, check out Paul01902 on eBay. He is reputable and builds up subframes for people. He might be able to help… FYI.. he is an Ex-Rover guy too

Edited by Mini Waco, 26 June 2022 - 01:04 PM.

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:22 AM

Sports pack subframes had extra gussets welded on behind the locating rings for the rubber springs and some sort of bump stop/travel limiter because of the larger wide wheels

You can see the alterations in the close up pictures on the Mini Spares website. http://www.minispare.../KHB100590.aspx

#4 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:57 PM

Looking at the pics, I find it difficult to imagine what the extra bits of metal do to strenthen the subframe for sports pack cars !

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:47 PM

Later rear subframes from 1991 onwards also have the modern type of rod mountings for the rear rubber exhaust mounts.

Edited by mab01uk, 27 June 2022 - 03:53 PM.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 June 2022 - 03:57 PM

Looking at the pics, I find it difficult to imagine what the extra bits of metal do to strenthen the subframe for sports pack cars !

In practice it is unlikely to make much difference, plenty of Minis have run 13" wheels and more with no problems but a car manufacturer has to pass extreme tests and get things type approved.

eg. For Japan the original 12" Rover Cooper Minilite wheels had to have the wheel nut fixing holes moved in relation to the 'spokes' to pass their more stringent market requirements compared to UK and Europe.

Edited by mab01uk, 27 June 2022 - 03:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users