Photo
- - - - -

Camalot 4 Valve Clearances (And Air Intake Question)

engine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would know what the correct valve clearance settings are for an A-SD Camalot 4 camshaft?   (a bit of an obscure, I know).

The last time I adjusted them was back in 2018 when I have a line in my notes saying "June 2018   Valve clearances set as per Camalot 4 specs on A-SD website".

Unfortunately I didn't make a note of what these specs were and A-SD went out of a business a couple of years ago so the website's gone.

There are scraps of it available on "webarchive.org" but most of it's missing.

I've just finished doing loads of work on the engine a couple of days back  (to try and cure a mysterious overheating issue) and when the time came to retorque the head and do the tappets,   I followed Haynes and set all valves to 0.30mm.

However,  when I bought the cam a few years ago I do remember looking at the data and concluding it was pretty much a Kent 266 clone (although not quite identical) -  now I've just checked Kent's catalogue and the VC for the 266 (and all their other A-series cams) seems to be 0.40mm,  so that set me thinking.    The marketing blurb for Camalot 4 said something like "mild/fast road cam with a hint of lumpy idle on a 998" if that helps.

If anyone knows for certain that'd be a great help.

Also   (less importantly),   would I be able to work out a recommended ignition advance from the data?      A rolling road guy set it at 12° when it was new and I've always been happy with that,   but would be interesting to know if there's an 'official' figure for the cam.

------

Now a quick question concerning the air intake,    if I put my hand over the air filter inlet should the engine start to bog down?    Because it's having no effect whatsoever!   (I've only tried it at idle).     Also I can barely feel any air flow   (again this is at idle).     Where is it getting its air from?    Does this mean there could be an inlet leak elsewhere?

The reason I'm asking is because I've just changed the head gasket, manifold gasket and carb gaskets   (along with various other things)   and I wanted to be sure there were no leaks anywhere before I take it on the road and blow one of the gaskets.

Other than the mysterious ability to run on no air,    the engine seems to be running fine   (sitting on the driveway at least).    

The vacuum tube, servo tube and engine breather are all connected correctly so no leaks there.

Fingers crossed when I get chance to take it out on the road next week my overheating issue will be finally sorted  (some of you might remember me moaning about it on a thread a few weeks back)!

I didn't find any smoking guns whilst the head was off but everything's been given a good clean and triple flushed,  and the pump and rad replaced,  so let's hope.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:09 PM

Ideally covering the air inlet should kill the motor slowly.In reality I am suspicious that the seal to the carb elbow is effective in many cases.If it is leaking after the throttle plate it would be difficult to slow the idle.As regards timing the idle timing does not guarantee that the curve or total timing is good.Can o worms indeed,Steve..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users