Photo

Hazards/ Indicators Intermittent Headache

Best Answer Green Rebel , 30 June 2022 - 05:45 PM

Hi  the hazard and direction indicator circuits are dependent on each other.

The circuit is as follows,  from a permanent battery supplied fuse, LF1, is a PURPLE/ORANGE wire that feeds the hazard warning flasher unit. The power passes through this relay on a LIGHT GREEN/PINK wire feeding both the indicator flasher unit and the hazard warning switch. Operating the hazard warning switch puts power onto the GREEN/WHITE ( O/S ) and the GREEN/RED ( N/S ) and the hazard warning lamps should operate as designed.

Now progress to the indicator flasher unit. There should be power on the LIGHT GREEN/PINK wire. Switching on the ignition should put power onto the LIGHT GREEN/BROWN, this feeds the indicator stalk switch and operating this switch should make the direction indicators work as designed.

From your fault description I think the hazard flasher unit is faulty/intermittant and may need replaced. This unit needs an earth so ensure this is the case.

This is my understanding of the circuit and I hope this helps you.

Thanks so much, that's actually a great guide! I was focussed on the wrong inline fuse as it looked burnt and had no power either side, my head was wrecked with it and just needed to step back and look at it again from a different perspective.

Turns out it was a broken spring in the fuse housing, fuse was good but the spring was causing it to drop in and out! 

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort, really appreciate it 

have power to the hazard switch now,switch is sticking again but bypass works  so once customs release my new switch i should be one step closer to the road!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Green Rebel

Green Rebel

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:21 PM

hi, first time poster, first time mini owner!

picked up a 94 spi with electrical issues which i've been working through over the last couple of months but i'm losing the will here...

hazard switch was faulty/ sticking worked on test drive, pulled it, cleaned it replaced it, checked continuity and was working (added one to cart to be sure! should be here soon) had power at the switch etc, left it for the night. went back to it next day to run through wiring bulbs and earths but dead. No power to switch. 

All fuses pulled, connections cleaned and scraped back the earths i could find, life to horn, headlights dash break lights etc but still no power at hazard switch, flasher relay OR in line fuse on brown/blue behind the injector. 

Touched in indicator stalk today and they came on!, flashing a bit fast and the left side indicator wasn't getting power but was amazed...then they slowed and died! 

Can anyone shine some light on the mini gremlins? 

wiring seems to be battery-starter-fuse box- hazard switch- indicator- flasher unit- lights? In line fuse is hazards/ interiour light i guess but with no power either side of it i'm lost and the indicators working today has thrown me further!

Any help or ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated as pulling the loom apart would break my heart at this stage!

Thanks

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:27 PM

Clean the terminals at the starter first,easy and cheap.Steve..

#3 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:41 PM

The circuit is as follows,  from a permanent battery supplied fuse, LF1, is a PURPLE/ORANGE wire that feeds the hazard warning flasher unit. The power passes through this relay on a LIGHT GREEN/PINK wire feeding both the indicator flasher unit and the hazard warning switch. Operating the hazard warning switch puts power onto the GREEN/WHITE ( O/S ) and the GREEN/RED ( N/S ) and the hazard warning lamps should operate as designed.

Now progress to the indicator flasher unit. There should be power on the LIGHT GREEN/PINK wire. Switching on the ignition should put power onto the LIGHT GREEN/BROWN, this feeds the indicator stalk switch and operating this switch should make the direction indicators work as designed.

From your fault description I think the hazard flasher unit is faulty/intermittant and may need replaced. This unit needs an earth so ensure this is the case.

#4 Green Rebel

Green Rebel

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 04:00 PM

Clean the terminals at the starter first,easy and cheap.Steve..

first thing i tried and did the earths too

#5 Green Rebel

Green Rebel

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 05:45 PM   Best Answer

Thanks so much, that's actually a great guide! I was focussed on the wrong inline fuse as it looked burnt and had no power either side, my head was wrecked with it and just needed to step back and look at it again from a different perspective.

Turns out it was a broken spring in the fuse housing, fuse was good but the spring was causing it to drop in and out! 

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort, really appreciate it 

have power to the hazard switch now,switch is sticking again but bypass works  so once customs release my new switch i should be one step closer to the road!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users