8 replies to this topic

#1 MrBrown

MrBrown

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 02:33 AM

Hello. New mini owner here. I have a 73 850 auto and I am trying to figure out the dash switches. The headlight, wipers, heat, and choke is obvious to me however, there is a push button that’s spring loaded that I have no clue what it is/does. Can someone please educate me? Thanks!

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 07:28 AM

On a 1973 I am guessing could be the Wind shield washer system... I think might be wwrong... it is a manual push, so you pump it in and out as fast as you can to wash the windscreen....Make sure there is water in the washer bottle, and preferabley some windscreen cleaner fluid

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:08 AM

The other switch which confuses many new classic Mini owners is the brake fluid level test light rocker switch.

See link below for details:-

https://www.theminif...ke-test-switch/

The rocker switch has a test function - press the switch and if the system is working correctly the light should illuminate. The switch is a self returning sprung rocker with light.

Edited by mab01uk, 02 July 2022 - 08:12 AM.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:52 AM

If it's a genuine 73 it's not going to have the brake test switch.
Should have light, wipers, choke and temp control with washer pump in the centre. Maybe a heated rear window switch but not sure 850's had them in 73. Horn push on the end of the indicator/dip switch.

Attached Files

Edited by imack, 02 July 2022 - 09:05 AM.

#5 MrBrown

MrBrown

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 04:07 PM

This photo shows exactly what mine looks like. So I am going to bet it is a washer pump switch. I will try and test it later.

Thank you all for the replies and assistance.

#6 MrBrown

MrBrown

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 04:20 PM

Sorry if this photo is extra huge. I’m still trying to figure this out.

Attached Files

#7 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 08:13 PM

The button in the middle is the screen washer pump plunger .  The actual pump, as in it  should have pipes on the back connecting to a washer bottle and to the washer jets.

#8 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:03 PM

The other switch which confuses many new classic Mini owners is the brake fluid level test light rocker switch.

The rocker switch has a test function - press the switch and if the system is working correctly the light should illuminate. The switch is a self returning sprung rocker with light.

I always found it quite amusing that in a car that has so few switches they made room for that really weird one that I haven't seen in any other car!

#9 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:01 AM

I always found it quite amusing that in a car that has so few switches they made room for that really weird one that I haven't seen in any other car!

Possibly because by the time that switch was introduced every other car had a brake test/warning function built directly  into the electrical system by law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users