2 replies to this topic

#1 Moggyman60

Moggyman60

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 04:20 AM

Could someone tell me if it's possible to fit a mk1 bonnet to a mk2 car?....are the hinges different and are they fixed

from the same position in the engine bay??  I am having trouble lining up the mk2 grill with the bonnet as nothing seems

to fit properly!

The car has just undergone a complete restoration and whilst trying to put the mk2 grill up against the front panel noticed

it sits proud of the slam panel, also the bonnet seems slightly too far forward??  Any advice would be a great help cheers

Andrew. O_O  P.S.  I think the mk1 bonnet looks better as there isn't a top bar to worry about.

Thanks again.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:20 AM

Tighten the pin to pull the bonnet down when it is closed.

all Mini bonnets are the same shape other than the hinge position and the addition of the Lip for the trim to mount on. Which can easily be removed to make it into an earlier looking car or added to make you car look newer.

Edited by nicklouse, 24 July 2022 - 09:20 AM.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:49 AM

MK1/2 hinges are mounted further towards the middle of the car than later Mk3 onwards Minis, however I doubt that is your problem assuming you have actually bolted the bonnet on. You can see the original position of these on every Mini, that is what the two narrow, vertical recesses in the bulkhead, that now serve no purpose (other than stiffening ribs) were for.

Some later and aftermarket bonnets have both hinge brackets spot welded on the bonnet so can be fitted to Mk1/2/3...

Have you fitted the Mk2 'lip'panel to the front edge of the Mk1 bonnet to support the Mk2 top grille trim?

When your Mini was restored were the front wings, front panel and bonnet all aligned to each other for correct panel gaps before finally welding in position?

The Mini body shell is not a precision engineered item unlike modern robot built cars and needs 'adjustment' when new panels are fitted....this should be done before final welding and painting is completed as it can be difficult to correct fitment later.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 July 2022 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users