#1 Rusty Mike

Rusty Mike

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:25 PM

hello all

I'm going to be removing the complete floor skin (Leaving in the cross beam)  on my mk1 mini. I just wanted to know if there's any tips or pitfalls to watch out for?

thanks Mike

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:03 PM

hello all

I'm going to be removing the complete floor skin (Leaving in the cross beam)  on my mk1 mini. I just wanted to know if there's any tips or pitfalls to watch out for?

thanks Mike

It won't be much fun driving through puddles.

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:09 PM

If you’re removing the entirety of the floor pan then you’ll also have to remove the seat crossmember as it is only supported by the floor pan.

You’ll have to add bracing to the body before you cut anything out. Normally a 30x30x3mm tube across each door frame and either one tube joining them or a cross is sufficient bracing.

This is a Crayford convertible I restored which had a complete floor pan and boot floor assembly dropped in so had a bit more bracing than you would require but you get the idea.
IMG_0910_zpssibnlim0.jpg?width=1920&heig

IMG_1603_zps0hryivj6.jpg?width=1920&heig

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:39 AM

make sure you brace up shell enough. did gf's and braced between both a posts and b posts and also across car between both a and both b posts then diagonally, with 20mm bar, probably overkill but didnt flex!  before cutting anything. remove crossmember as is attached to inner sills which are floor pan. if i did it again would get full floor including outer sills from m-machine. remember heel boards are different on later cars

#5 Rusty Mike

Rusty Mike

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

Ive put a new boot floor in already, so its just the floor in the cab, but i'll brace it now you've said that.

thanks Mike

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:53 PM

Are you changing the heelboard as well?? If so before you do trial fit the rear subframe to ensure your new boot floor is good ( I take it it’s the complete boot floor)

I made a jig for the rear subbie when I changed my boot floor and heelboard. This enabled me to make sure everything was spot on when I replaced them.

#7 Rusty Mike

Rusty Mike

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 02:16 PM

Hi The heal board isn't too bad, so thats staying, just needs a couple of repairs on the lip.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:03 AM

You won't want it to lozenge, so fix the diagonals where that'd matter - between the front & rear subframes & the door apertures. Have as much fitted as you can & test fit what you can't before you fully weld it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users