15 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 06:55 AM

Surrey county council to be trialling 20 and 30 mph speed limits on country lanes.

Now there are some country lanes where this is as fast as you can practicably go anyway but there are plenty where it would be complete overkill.  I wonder if they will do it sensibly?

Unenforceable of course.  One problem I forsee is that if it's done badly people will ignore the limits but then they will continue to ignore the limits through villages where they might have respected them before.

https://www.telegrap...ts-green-light/

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:07 AM

I was at Uni in Surrey, I remember if you take one of the roads out of guildford (towards shalford, I had to googlemap it..) there is a little hump in the road and I swear I got air off of that so many times lol

as a student I did many jobs all for very brief periods of time but one of the most fun was driving for an insurance company collecting peoples dented cars and delivering their courtesy cars.. I remember one man being very reluctant to give me the keys to his Jag, that thing was just downright scary, when going uphill all I could see was bonnet that went on forever and then blue sky.  fortunately I knew the lanes pretty well by then

the golfs and (at that point) 'new' MINI's were more fun on those sorts of roads.   But I will add an unexpected shout out to the Hynundai Getz (courtesy cars) where you could absolutely nail it around pretty much any bend and get out  the other side smiling.. I suppose like a lot of these small cars they owe everything to the original mini

I have to be honest it's probably people like me that cause these sorts of rules to happen, sorry about that

20 is a bit to the other extreme though

Edited by stuart bowes, 08 August 2022 - 09:11 AM.

#3 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:08 AM

don't know about un-enforceable a well known bike route called the cat and fiddle had average cameras fitted. unlike motorway ones that link between two specified cameras these are supposed to link between any two cameras in the system. whether this wors or not is up for debate! agree though extreme on open country lanes

#4 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 08 August 2022 - 12:15 PM

Brilliant, we'll be able to hold up all the cyclists now

#5 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 01:19 PM

don't know about un-enforceable a well known bike route called the cat and fiddle had average cameras fitted. unlike motorway ones that link between two specified cameras these are supposed to link between any two cameras in the system. whether this wors or not is up for debate! agree though extreme on open country lanes

We had a french intern at work that brought his bike over and was telling me about how good a road the Cat and Fiddle was to ride, I said yeah but what about the speed cameras, he said "oh I just cover the rear number plate when i go through one" 

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:39 PM

We'll all be travelling around at 20mph and people on push bikes will be sailiing past us.

Wales was planning on introducing a 20mph speed limit on all roads in built up areas but I think that's been shelved for now.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:00 AM

We'll all be travelling around at 20mph and people on push bikes will be sailiing past us.

Wales was planning on introducing a 20mph speed limit on all roads in built up areas but I think that's been shelved for now.

That wouldn't be so bad for a lot of the time. Often, you'd be lucky to average 20mph in traffic so you'd just spend less time sat in queues and find it easier to pull out of side roads.

The OP makes a great point that it's so much better to convince than coerce the public over regulation, but I do wonder how much is journalistic hyperbole in that headline.

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:03 AM

All these rules and acts of parliament and the like.  I don't remember ever signing an agreement to be "governed" in the first place.  I don't think anyone in the country ever did.

#9 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

All these rules and acts of parliament and the like. I don't remember ever signing an agreement to be "governed" in the first place. I don't think anyone in the country ever did.

As long as you dont harm anyone or cause anyone any loss do what thou wilt.

#10 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:37 PM

All these rules and acts of parliament and the like.  I don't remember ever signing an agreement to be "governed" in the first place.  I don't think anyone in the country ever did.

you think you live in a totally free country!! doesn't the word government give you a clue as to their role? don't think anarchy would be all you wish for, what if it didn't go your way!

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:43 PM

It is after all designed to keep you"safe",Steve..

#12 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:18 PM

These proposed speed limits wouldn't stop the dangerous driver who drives too fast for the road - they're probably already exceeding the 60 mph limit currently covering these back roads anyway. Also it would mean a forest of new signs as if we haven't already got enough' with attendant costs for maintenance. Another bad idea from a 'government ' which should be spending our money on helping the needy with their cost of living rise. and don't get me started on the recent stupid changes to the highway Code!

#13 Clip

Clip

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 12:33 AM

As someone famous stated:

“Yes, Yes!... Why, oh why, do we pay taxes, hmmm? I mean, just to have bloody parking restrictions- and ……traffic wardens, and bollocky-pedestrian-bloody-crossings?... and those bastard railings outside shops windows, making it so difficult, so you can't even get in them! I mean, I know they're there to stop stupid people running into the street and killing themselves! But we're not all stupid! We don't all need nurse-maiding. I mean, why not just have a Stupidity Tax? Just tax the stupid people!”

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 August 2022 - 10:25 AM

zmRqUg0.jpg

#15 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 August 2022 - 10:43 AM

Interesting how people want rules to stop some plonker dumping their Range Rover on the Piccadilly line, but don't want rules that affect them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users