Photo

Horrific Range Rover Crash On A40, London...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:05 AM

Seeing the reports of the horrific results of this Range Rover crash on the A40 Western Avenue in London yesterday, where the vehicle involved with four young people in became airborne at high speed, before landing on the Park Royal railway lines, does make you wonder why car manufacturers can sell road cars effortlessly capable of 176 mph, especially when all you need to drive one legally is to pass the basic driving test....
https://www.dailymai...ntre-fence.html
Park Royal crash: Woman killed as car ends up on Tube tracks:-
https://www.bbc.co.u...london-62589528

TUzwq4W.jpg

Reports based on the reg number say it was a Range Rover Sport SVR 575.

The Land Rover website quote:-
PULSE RACING PERFORMANCE
"Range Rover Sport SVR goes from 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds). It has a top speed of 176mph (283 km/h). Its 5.0 litre Supercharged V8 Petrol engine delivers up to 575HP and 700Nm."
https://www.landrove...-sport-svr.html

Land Rover could also at least fit them with decent 'keyless' security to prevent them falling into the wrong hands....
Range Rover ‘most stolen and recovered’ car for third year running:-
https://www.fleetnew...rd-year-running

Edited by mab01uk, 23 August 2022 - 01:36 PM.

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:36 AM

you can't legislate against human stupidity i'm afraid

#3 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:36 AM

Awful as it was, that to me smacks of either a drink-drive incident (or drugs) or the driver not having the ability to drive a car properly, showing off etc. Apparently it hit a stationary car, and you don't do that unless you're either impaired or have lost control. (Quite often both). 

This particular quote from the BBC Report tells me this was a "showing off" incident: "There was a Range Rover parked up watching their friend in a BMW spinning around the roundabout."

I am so sorry for all involved, but young rich people will always show off in cars.

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:37 AM

Tragic waste,what did the value of the Tesla have to do with anything.A knee jerk reaction to speed limits next?I suspect if it was still a man with a red flag in front this would have still happened.
Thoughts to the passengers and their families.Steve..

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:04 AM

Tragic waste,what did the value of the Tesla have to do with anything.A knee jerk reaction to speed limits next?I suspect if it was still a man with a red flag in front this would have still happened.

That stretch of the A40 has 40 mph speed cameras but not sure we need road cars available that are easily capable of 176 mph.....why exactly is that necessary?

Edited by mab01uk, 23 August 2022 - 09:04 AM.

#6 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:08 AM

That stretch of the A40 has 40 mph speed cameras but not sure we need road cars available that are easily capable of 176 mph.....why exactly is that necessary?

Simply marketing, displays wealth. Oh and Nurburgring lap times.

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 09:28 AM

Maybe we need a special extra licence for anything over a certain bhp.  or just enforce the ARDS test on those sorts of cars maybe.  Also maybe an age limit of over 40 so they're not showoffy little kids any more by the time they get one

generally I'd say anything over 300hp really is just completely unnecessary unless it's track prepped and race licenced, and even then you're probably hard pressed to find an amateur race series with that sort of requirement

I'm just glad no-one else was killed by their stupidity, killing yourself is one thing but taking out some poor innocent bystander is inexcusable 

Edited by stuart bowes, 23 August 2022 - 10:37 AM.

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 10:30 AM

What speed do we limit things to?speed does not in itself kill.Inappropriate speed is where it starts.One mph can run over ones head and cause death.Education only educates those who are receptive.
We are human and a destructive gene is part of our nature sadly.Like guns cars do not kill people,people kill people.Steve..

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 11:27 AM

Motor Cycles have extra driving licence tests for riders who want to upgrade to a higher performance bike.

https://www.rac.co.u...orbike-licence/

Edited by mab01uk, 23 August 2022 - 11:29 AM.

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 August 2022 - 10:35 PM

What speed do we limit things to?speed does not in itself kill.Inappropriate speed is where it starts.One mph can run over ones head and cause death.Education only educates those who are receptive.
We are human and a destructive gene is part of our nature sadly.Like guns cars do not kill people,people kill people.Steve..

Exactly this, any vehicle out there which is powered by a engine of one form or another is a potential killing machine, cars, tractors, lorries, bikes, quads etc etc etc etc. Its the human interface that turns them into a killing machine.

Peoples perception of being capable of driving any of the above is the limiting factor. It could have 11000bhp (Top Fuel Dragster or 38bhp 998cc mini,) but any of these vehicles driven into a body of people could have the same consequence.

There are so many different factors but realistically it boils down to ability or lack of ability that is the root cause. Now that ability can be impaired by Drugs, Alochol, physical or mental impairment caused by a medical issue.

Its very easy to jump on the bandwagon and say its the fault of the high powered vehicle, but as we have seen over the years from the time the motor vehicle was first invented tp present day vehicles its US, the human interface. We ultimately are the root cause.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 07:29 AM

I don't think anyone has yet answered the question as to why does any road car need to be capable of 176 mph on public roads?

Especially when the vehicle is an SUV (tall and unstable even with electronic driver aids) and not a 'Supercar' and able to be driven by anyone who has the money even if an inexperienced driver just passed the basic driving test.

Of course with poor keyless security and being the most stolen car in the Uk many Range Rovers end up being driven by people who don't even have a driving licence. How many Police forces have traffic cars capable of keeping up with an SUV doing 176 mph.....

All speeds can kill as many have stated but the higher the speed you input into any collision the worse the damage to the vehicle, its occupants and the bigger the collateral damage to the property and lives of innocent people in the vicinity. It is just the basic 'Law of Physics'......

In other news apparently from 6 July 2022, all newly launched cars in EU legally have to be fitted with a speed limiter but the driver can override it. The UK is likely to adopt the new speed limiting rules, even after Brexit:-
https://www.autotrad...-cars-from-2022

Edited by mab01uk, 24 August 2022 - 07:39 AM.

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 08:07 AM

Exactly this, any vehicle out there which is powered by a engine of one form or another is a potential killing machine, cars, tractors, lorries, bikes, quads etc etc etc etc. Its the human interface that turns them into a killing machine.

Peoples perception of being capable of driving any of the above is the limiting factor. It could have 11000bhp (Top Fuel Dragster or 38bhp 998cc mini,) but any of these vehicles driven into a body of people could have the same consequence.

There are so many different factors but realistically it boils down to ability or lack of ability that is the root cause. Now that ability can be impaired by Drugs, Alochol, physical or mental impairment caused by a medical issue.

Its very easy to jump on the bandwagon and say its the fault of the high powered vehicle, but as we have seen over the years from the time the motor vehicle was first invented tp present day vehicles its US, the human interface. We ultimately are the root cause.

to a point I would agree but there is a vast difference between a 998cc mini where you plant your foot and let's be honest not much really happens, certainly not all at once and certainly nothing you can't handle.. and a 500bhp monster where the slightest twitch of your right foot means sudden massive changes in the car's composition, handling, speed, etc

in fact one of the positive points about these small engined little cars like the mini / civic / fiesta is that you can nail the living sh$% out of them and have a good bit of fun feeling like you're maxing them out hard, screaming your way around a country lane for example, but in reality you're not going fast at all, it just feels like you are because the car is at its limit (see also, go-karts).  I've often thought for example driving a ferrari or mclaren would be a real drag in the long term because you'd be at 20% most of the time and struggling to rein it in rather than just outright having fun.  whereas something like a lotus elise or caterham would be equally agile but a lot more enjoyable

anyway.. I totally agree it's the driver that's the problem (if we ignore the occasional mechanical failure) and that's why people should really be trained and licensed for advanced driving for that sort of car, so they have a good solid understanding and practice with throttle control, prevailing road conditions, composition, lift-off oversteer, power oversteer etc .  and more to the point why it's really stupid to just plant your foot down in a residential area where the speeds are chosen normally for pretty good reasons (although some of them are a nuisance I will admit..) but the rules are there for a reason.  to protect us against the terminally stupid, case in point see above

Edited by stuart bowes, 24 August 2022 - 08:18 AM.

#13 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 08:52 AM

As I said earlier,education is only good for those who choose to embrace it.The power and speed of the vehicle is almost irrelevant.The driver(and to some extent the passengers) attitude is all.There is no realistic answer.
If insurance companies refused to insure some vehicles at any cost?Tragic but isolated incident.Perhaps remove every driver aid and digital distraction,no airbags etc.After a brief period of carnage the idea of not walking away and filing an insurance claim may modify behaviours?Steve..

#14 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 09:29 AM

"Why does a car need to be capable of 176mph"? Well it obviously doesn't, but logically no road car needs to be capable of exceeding the max speed of the country that it's sold in. But that doesn't answer your question. Manufacturers (successful ones) produce what their customers want and need, lots of people wouldn't dream of buying the espresso machine that we have in our kitchen because a spoon of instant in a mug with boiling water satisfies their needs. For driving enjoyment, my underpowered, under-tyred van satisfies my needs, but driving it would frustrate someone who wants to push buttons, not change gears and generally be uninvolved with the 'driving experience'. The thing is that we're all different. Sorry Mab, I can't answer your question, but at least I tried.

#15 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 August 2022 - 10:35 AM

Humans do things"because we can"and advertisers tell us that we need(deserve) it and the population sucks it up like gravy.Once the genie is let out of the bottle she is very difficult to restrain.Steve..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users