#1 JTBob

JTBob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:21 AM

Hello,

I know this has been talked about before, but I haven't seen a link to an online source for an oil cooler.

I have a 1992 Mini Cooper SPi in California and I would like to add an oil cooler. If anyone has info, that would be great!

Cheers,

JT

#2 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:43 AM

MiniSport had one available at one point.

How have you determined high oil temps and the need for a cooler?

Terry

#3 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:22 AM

Hello,

I know this has been talked about before, but I haven't seen a link to an online source for an oil cooler.

I have a 1992 Mini Cooper SPi in California and I would like to add an oil cooler. If anyone has info, that would be great!

Cheers,

JT

Mini Mania has them, including hardware.

#4 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 08:21 PM

A 92 Mini should use the same oil cooler as older Minis, but might need some additional parts:

http://www.minispare.../MOC10ROW.aspx?

https://www.minimani...il_Cooler_Parts

https://www.minimani...nstallation-Kit

For a later SPI I am pretty sure the MPi version is the same

https://www.7ent.com...89-moc2000.html

#5 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:21 PM

I would be sure you really need one before just chucking one on. Oils have come a long way since the really days of the Coopers. 

#6 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:17 AM

I'd agree, for normal road use even in hot weather a properly set up spi cooling system, with auxiliary fan kicking in on cue, should be fine.

#7 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:08 PM

I have also considered a cooler on my SPi. In normal driving and cruising oil pressure is 25-75 psi. But if I go up the motorway  in a "hurry" the next set of lights I stop at  it will drop below 25 but not enough for warning light. Driving around in the city than it will only come up to 50psi. Once its parked and cooled everything is back to normal. There is 70K on the motor so maybe a new pump would help.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,985 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:00 PM

I have also considered a cooler on my SPi. In normal driving and cruising oil pressure is 25-75 psi. But if I go up the motorway  in a "hurry" the next set of lights I stop at  it will drop below 25 but not enough for warning light. Driving around in the city than it will only come up to 50psi. Once its parked and cooled everything is back to normal. There is 70K on the motor so maybe a new pump would help.

That sounds quite ok to me. What was the oil temp? Cold oil is worse than hot oil.

#9 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 December 2022 - 12:14 AM

No oil temp gauge. I tried a new oil pressure plunger to no avail so I reckon the pump is worn or scoured which is only a problem when the oil is hot and thin.

#10 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 15 December 2022 - 10:11 AM

Just my 2 ct:

- do I need an oil cooler in my SPi? Answer: No

- why I still want one? Answer: Because I want one.

- The available space in the front of on SPi is very limited. What are my ideas?

Well, tried many approaches, lastly ended contemplating a motorcycle oil cooler.

I now have one of these:

see attachement

The connections are M12x1,25 and I will make my own lines as JIC/Dash/AN which is not too difficult.

Attached Files

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,985 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

Just my 2 ct:

- do I need an oil cooler in my SPi? Answer: No

- why I still want one? Answer: Because I want one.

- The available space in the front of on SPi is very limited. What are my ideas?

Well, tried many approaches, lastly ended contemplating a motorcycle oil cooler.

I now have one of these:

see attachement

The connections are M12x1,25 and I will make my own lines as JIC/Dash/AN which is not too difficult.

If you don’t need one and fit a cooler then you must also fit a thermostat. So that the oil can actually get up to working temperature.

cold oil is just as bad is too hot oil.

#12 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 15 December 2022 - 11:15 AM

Yes, I know that, but I do not care as I drive this SPi only during Summer (limited registration from 05 to 10) and only when the weather is fine. Doing less than 2000km per annum any damage will occur when I  will have decayed for many years.

Edited by r.tec, 15 December 2022 - 11:15 AM.

#13 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:10 PM

You might be surprised at how long oil takes to get to working temp and how quickly damage can be done.
I think Nick's suggestion is a good one.

If you don’t need one and fit a cooler then you must also fit a thermostat. So that the oil can actually get up to working temperature.

cold oil is just as bad is too hot oil.

#14 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 19 December 2022 - 11:36 PM

Yes, I know that, but I do not care as I drive this SPi only during Summer (limited registration from 05 to 10) and only when the weather is fine. Doing less than 2000km per annum any damage will occur when I will have decayed for many years.

Every time you start the engine and don't get the engine oil temperature up to the boiling point of water you will increase the acid content in the oil. This is created by the water vapour in the oil mixing with the sulphur blowing past the piston rings. The sulphur is a by product of the combustion process as is water generation. Once the sulphur acid is in the oil and mixed with it, it will not boil off. In an engine left idle for long periods i.e. over winter it will very quickly damage bearing surfaces (even with an oil change before lay up). The worst thing you can do is keep starting it over a long lay-up period without getting the oil up to 220f degrees. By all means fit a cooler, but you must fit an oil thermostat as well.

#15 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 01:03 PM

Glad I read this and great advice as putting in an oil cooler on my SC mini next week - absolutely need a thermostat otherwise it’s guess work which equals problems

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users