Photo
- - - - -

Again, Do We Need To Put Up With This Crap?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 01:08 PM

Minispares own front subframe rear lower mount (21A2599MS), my concern was going to be the quality of the rubber but unless I re-drill the mounting holes to correct the spacing Iā€™ll never find out.

HAJS8hq.jpeg

EUpDVxz.jpeg

Minispares get your act together, itā€™s simply not acceptable. Maybe we should start a list of all components and who makes decent parts, Iā€™m not one for naming and shaming but like so many others Iā€™ve grown tired of the issue.

I suspect my next component order will be from Minisport just try a different source.

Edited by Bobbins, 28 December 2023 - 01:43 PM.

#2 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 02:25 PM

Are those the Ā£3.00 ones or the Ā£30.00 ones? If they are the Ā£3.00 ones then that's about Ā£3.00 worth, if they are the Ā£30.00 ones then moan like hell I have asked MS why they sell this low quality stuff and they simply said, because everybody does. A large percentage of kit made today isn't a patch on what it was even the so called high end equipment. I happened to drop in on one of my mates who owns and engineering company recently and he had a massive Timken bearing on his desk , he spent half a hour showing me how the quality just wasn't what it used to be.

Shooter

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 02:36 PM

At least with Mini's you can get part and in a lot of case different part options at different price points/qualities.

For a lot of classic cars you only get one choice if you're lucky and in some cases nothing at all you end up having to modify/make bits to fit. 

While I appreciate its annoying that its not made quite right,  a bit of work with a file will be all thats required.

#4 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 03:33 PM

Are those the Ā£3.00 ones or the Ā£30.00 ones? If they are the Ā£3.00 ones then that's about Ā£3.00 worth,
Shooter

They're either fit for purpose or they aren't, the price is irrelevant.

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 28 December 2023 - 03:50 PM

Problem mostly is you pay 30 pounds for what you think is the best..

but you get the 3 pounds part.....

Pay peanuts pay to replace that very next year.....

On the plus side

The bolts will still be free and not rusted on like the well built bits, as they have been on the car for at least 20 years....giving them adequqte time to rust..

#6 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 04:06 PM

Problem mostly is you pay 30 pounds for what you think is the best..

but you get the 3 pounds part.....

Pay peanuts pay to replace that very next year.....

On the plus side

The bolts will still be free and not rusted on like the well built bits, as they have been on the car for at least 20 years....giving them adequqte time to rust..

That's one unseen bonus.. .. they'll only be on 2 minutes so will come off as easy as they went on! šŸ˜

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 04:19 PM

Are those the Ā£3.00 ones or the Ā£30.00 ones? If they are the Ā£3.00 ones then that's about Ā£3.00 worth,
Shooter

Correct. And these are not fit for purpose because they donā€™t fit.

#8 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:10 PM

Shooter

If that was the case all the suppliers would have around 6 items to sell, on the engine/box I'm building at the moment only a couple parts have fitted without modification.

Shooter

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:44 PM

Minispares do normally say which parts are 'Non-Genuine' budget items and which are the more expensive longer lasting 'Genuine' parts. Most long term Mini enthusiasts now avoid the non-genuine stuff where possible from previous experience of 'Buy cheap, buy twice' but go on ebay or to any Mini show and you will often see stalls selling the unbranded cheap stuff and finding plenty of customers willing to part with cash...

eg. Minispares have improved a few parts like Knuckle gaiters (see below) and petrol tank neck rubber seals recently.

POLY UPGRADE TRACK ROD END/KNUCKLE GAITER
Minispares Part No. 21A425EVO

Polyurethane upgraded gaiter for all knuckle joints and many track rod ends
(For standard rubber versions see 21A425)
Please note- this does not fit all track rod ends as so many genuine and aftermarket parts have been supplied in 55 years. It does however fit every suspension knuckle ball joint GSV1118 ever made.
https://www.minispar...|Back to search

92WoYh9.jpg

GENUINE MINISPARES FUEL FILLER NECK GROMMET
Genuine Mini Spares product. The seal that goes on the neck of petrol tanks as protection against water intrusion and to also to make the hole look neater, so replace them when they crack or shrink through heat. This is the original fatter type as used pre 1997 and made in the UK using high quality EPDM for better looks and longevity. Worth the extra money for looks and quality alone. Ā£8.69
https://www.minispar...057GENUINE.aspx

or you can pay Ā£2.40 for the poor quality Minispares item.....
https://www.minispar...ic/14A7057.aspx

Edited by mab01uk, 28 December 2023 - 05:47 PM.

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:46 PM

Ā£3 or Ā£30 the holes should still line up right 

Ā£3 you expect to wear out quick or be sloppy and poorly made, maybe, but there's no excuse for not even being able to actually fit them (if, for some reason you wanted to ?)

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 December 2023 - 05:47 PM.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:52 PM

Minispares own front subframe rear lower mount (21A2599MS), my concern was going to be the quality of the rubber but unless I re-drill the mounting holes to correct the spacing Iā€™ll never find out.

Minispares get your act together, itā€™s simply not acceptable. Maybe we should start a list of all components and who makes decent parts, Iā€™m not one for naming and shaming but like so many others Iā€™ve grown tired of the issue.

I suspect my next component order will be from Minisport just try a different source.

Non-genuine version

21A2599MS = Ā£2.86

https://www.minispar.../21A2599MS.aspx

Genuine version

21A2599 = Ā£33.42

https://www.minispar...ic/21A2599.aspx

For Ā£2.86 it will be copied made and imported from somewhere like China/India/Turkey with poor materials and poor quality control. As a Mechanical Engineer I would know immediately from that huge price difference there was no point in trying the cheap pattern version but as Minispares say there are people on tight budgets who are happy to put in the extra work to make something fit on a car they maybe don't intend keeping for the long term. As with many things in life you pays your money and takes your choice....

Edited by mab01uk, 28 December 2023 - 06:01 PM.

#12 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 28 December 2023 - 06:51 PM

Time to go solidmounts and experience all the benefits with little added harshness, i'd never go rubber mounts again on the front subby.

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:27 PM

Non-genuine version
21A2599MS = Ā£2.86
https://www.minispar.../21A2599MS.aspx

Genuine version
21A2599 = Ā£33.42
https://www.minispar...ic/21A2599.aspx

For Ā£2.86 it will be copied made and imported from somewhere like China/India/Turkey with poor materials and poor quality control. As a Mechanical Engineer I would know immediately from that huge price difference there was no point in trying the cheap pattern version but as Minispares say there are people on tight budgets who are happy to put in the extra work to make something fit on a car they maybe don't intend keeping for the long term. As with many things in life you pays your money and takes your choice....

I agree and generally Iā€™ve spent a small fortune on replacement parts, but anything that involves rubber is hit or miss whether ā€œgenuineā€ or repro.

In this case the item will simply not fit because the hole spacing is wrong and as such it shouldnā€™t be sold by Minispares, it should have been rejected. Iā€™ve had enough ā€œgenuineā€ Minispares items which are just as bad but sadly we donā€™t know which are good or bad until weā€™ve bought them.

#14 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 06:06 AM

Quality of parts can be annoying indeed, as long as ā€˜weā€™ keep buying Ā£ 2.86 items the mini community itself is responsible to a large part for creating and sustaining a market in which sh*t being is offered. I mean what do you expect, a loaf of bread is more expensive!

Edited by evoderby, 29 December 2023 - 06:06 AM.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 11:37 AM

Quality of parts can be annoying indeed, as long as ā€˜weā€™ keep buying Ā£ 2.86 items the mini community itself is responsible to a large part for creating and sustaining a market in which sh*t being is offered. I mean what do you expect, a loaf of bread is more expensive!

And remember that Ā£2.86 is made up of the cost of materials, processes and labour overheads, manufacturer's profit margin, plus shipping (probably from a far away country?), possible import duties and finally the UK retailers mark-up for handling, sellers profit margin, 20% vat, etc......it would be interesting to know what the ex-factory cost of the actual part is, it might not even buy a couple of slices of that loaf of bread!

Edited by mab01uk, 29 December 2023 - 11:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users