Photo

Adding Sealant When Fitting Window Seals?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 12:30 PM

Historically I've had leaking windows on various Minis, some even on original factory fitted glass, but I'd like to make some attempt in my rebuild to ensure the inside stays dry .... okay you've now all spilt tea over your keyboards or phones and you're rolling around laughing on the garage / kitchen / loo floor dependent upon where you do your TMF catch-up!

The first glass going back in will be the opening rear quarter lights, I'll be wiping the seals down with rubber grease before the final fit of the opening (framed) glass but is common to use a sealant when fitting the rubber seals to the body? Same with the front and rear screens? Or is this just doomed to be messier than a bun fight in a cake shop? I'm thinking something such as Sikaflex or Tigerseal as would be used on modern windscreen fitments.

Stu.

#2 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 02:01 PM

The previous owner of my car had the front and rear windscreens fitted with sealant....I can't see any on the side windows though. The car has never leaked whilst I have owned it, but the tiny amounts of visible sealant can become sticky in hot weather. I suspect as you suggest that it may be like bun fighting when installing.

#3 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 06 February 2024 - 11:07 PM

On the front and rear screens a mastic type sealant should be used. I also use it on the fuel filler grommet. I guess it could be used on the door/window seals too.

Edited by 68+86auto, 06 February 2024 - 11:13 PM.

#4 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:20 AM

i use clear silicone sealant on front screen and fuel grommet and doesn't leak. used sikaflex on front screen originally until i needed to remove it for some work and sikaflex did its job and hell of a job getting screen out. that's why i now use silicone

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:33 AM

i use clear silicone sealant on front screen and fuel grommet and doesn't leak. used sikaflex on front screen originally until i needed to remove it for some work and sikaflex did its job and hell of a job getting screen out. that's why i now use silicone

I can see the logic in that!

#6 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

When I had the front and rear windows fitted by Auto Glass, the fitter used a black screen sealant that does not set hard. I would say you want to use something like that made for the job not something like Tiger Seal which is actually and adhesive. My windows don't leak at at all. But at times water gets in there from somewhere, I thing door seals!

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 01:42 AM

When I had the front and rear windows fitted by Auto Glass, the fitter used a black screen sealant that does not set hard. I would say you want to use something like that made for the job not something like Tiger Seal which is actually and adhesive. My windows don't leak at at all. But at times water gets in there from somewhere, I thing door seals!

That is the mastic type windscreen sealant and is the correct product to use like you say. Silicone is a bad idea.

Edited by 68+86auto, 08 February 2024 - 01:42 AM.

#8 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:09 AM

This is a copy of my post from a similar topic on this forum a few months back.

For the cost of a new windscreen rubber seal and the cost of some 3M 8509 bedding and glazing compound about £40 in total to me it is a no brainer to replace the seal. You will find that the cheap tool will work perfectly ok with a new seal, I replaced my seal recently using the same tool you have.

If using the 3M product or similar put in both the channel for the body work and the channel for the glass. It can be a bit messy but it is worth doing.

The 3M 8509 bedding and glazing compound is black and does not set hard.

Paddy

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:54 AM

For the cost of a new windscreen rubber seal and the cost of some 3M 8509 bedding and glazing compound about £40 in total to me it is a no brainer to replace the seal. You will find that the cheap tool will work perfectly ok with a new seal, I replaced my seal recently using the same tool you have.

If using the 3M product or similar put in both the channel for the body work and the channel for the glass. It can be a bit messy but it is worth doing.

Paddy

Fantastic Paddy, I've ordered a tube. 

Stu.

#10 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:55 AM

That is the mastic type windscreen sealant and is the correct product to use like you say. Silicone is a bad idea.

why is it a bad idea as opposed to another idea? am i missing something. had no issues with this also used same on campervan windows again no issues

#11 ThermalEvent

ThermalEvent

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:19 AM

After some research online I found something called flowable Silicone and it looks like it's designed for the job:

https://amzn.eu/d/7A6mhy0

#12 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:34 AM

why is it a bad idea as opposed to another idea? am i missing something. had no issues with this also used same on campervan windows again no issues

After some research online I found something called flowable Silicone and it looks like it's designed for the job:

https://amzn.eu/d/7A6mhy0

Paint contamination and the clear stuff will look like a dodgy job.

The mastic type sealant does the job perfectly fine and is cheap. It remains flexible and lasts a lot better.

Edited by 68+86auto, 08 February 2024 - 11:38 AM.

#13 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:35 AM

Paddy

Fantastic Paddy, I've ordered a tube. 

Stu.

That's the correct stuff. Note there are cheaper versions around.

#14 Cabby

Cabby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:20 PM

#15 Cabby

Cabby

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:21 PM

I think that black, non setting sealant, is called Arbormast, or something like that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users