15 replies to this topic

#1 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:16 AM

My 1999 cooper is currently sorn, I need to get the car mot'd, but can't tax it without a current mot.....help!

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:51 AM

You can drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax.

#3 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 11:10 AM

I had to do the same when getting the Mini Marcos back on the road - as long as you have a pre-booked MOT then you're fine. Still nerve wracking when you have to drive there though!

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:09 PM

You can drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax.

But remember, it has to be insured.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 February 2024 - 12:11 PM

Aslong as you have a valid insurance policy you are covered for going to a garage for a pre booked mot test

#6 Finchman

Finchman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 10:21 PM

Thanks all👍

#7 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:36 AM

You will need the registration document code to get itmtaxed after you have been successful with the mot...

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 February 2024 - 02:32 PM

I did exactly that with my 1990 Cooper last week and will tax it from 1st March.

As an interesting aside, there is no regulation as to how far you can drive to obtain an MoT on a car which doesn't have one. Thus, in theory, if you bought a car with no Mot in, say, Manchester, you could pre-book an MoT in Cambridge and legally drive it there. I bought a Land-Rover with no MoT and, after insuring it, drove it 45 miles to the MoT testing station 1 mile from my home where I had pre-booked the test. It passed.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 February 2024 - 05:02 PM

I did exactly that with my 1990 Cooper last week and will tax it from 1st March.

As an interesting aside, there is no regulation as to how far you can drive to obtain an MoT on a car which doesn't have one. Thus, in theory, if you bought a car with no Mot in, say, Manchester, you could pre-book an MoT in Cambridge and legally drive it there. I bought a Land-Rover with no MoT and, after insuring it, drove it 45 miles to the MoT testing station 1 mile from my home where I had pre-booked the test. It passed.

I wonder if there is any regulation about the rout that you have to take to get to the pre-booked MOT test ?

#10 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 February 2024 - 05:48 AM

As I understand it  you have to drive direct from your point of departure to the MOT station, you cannot go shopping on the way. Stopping for petrol is probably acceptable.

#11 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:31 AM

Think I have come across this before and the legislation states.

The mot test station must be within a REASONABLE distance.

Passing near on 500 mot test stations maybe alittle bit of a legal loophole but hey, courts job to decide..

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 07:05 PM

I'm not sure distance to the MoT station is mentioned in the legislation, although it does say that the journey must be just for that purpose. Buying petrol is allowed and I seem to recall a case where someone stopped to buy cigarettes and a sandwich which went to court and as it was necessary to pass the shop the magistrates found it reasonable. The case was about an untaxed car being parked on a public road for a very short time.
So long as you have current insurance it's unlikely to be an issue so long as the test is pre-booked.

#13 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:48 AM

give the car a good check before you go as if vehicle is not roadworthy you cannot legally drive on the road at all. same applies returning if serious defects are found on the mot. good idea to get text or email confirmation for mot if you are stopped or trigger anpr as you have hard, dated evidence it was pre.booked rather than just telephone call to garage

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 11:21 PM

If you buy a car a fair distance from home and it is without an MoT, you could go to the nearest MoT station. But if it fails for a few minor defects, you might have to drive it home, do the work, then drive back for a re-test.

If you pre-book at a test station near your home, in the event of failure it's easy to drive it home, do the necessary work ad return for a re-test.

I'm not suggesting driving it if it has serious defects, but then, you would not buy such a car unless you were going to trailer it home, do the work, then get it tested.

#15 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:17 AM

I think in those kinds of situations I would always just pay someone to trailer it for me, over any sort of distance in a car you're not totally sure of

but in OP's case I'm assuming we're talking about a car in his own garage, just off the road for a few years, and there's an MOT place within a reasonably short distance,  I'd just insure it, check the tyres, then drive it there slowly and carefully using as many quiet back roads and side streets I can think of, giving the brakes a good test as you drive along your own road before you've got more than 100m from your front door, I would see that as taking reasonable care and attention.  as long as you can stop it safely, other things are mostly secondary concerns

Edited by stuart bowes, 24 February 2024 - 09:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users