#1 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the add to the group.

Little background on myself and Mini history. Growing up my best mate had several Minis and I was always a part of any restoration works, where I could help and spent many hours at car meets with him. I fell in love with Minis from that point but sadly in 2006 we lost him too a bad accident and my world flipped upside down  :strongsad:  since then I swore one day I would own my own mini as a tribute to him and everything he taught me  :-) Life started flying past and the more time went on there was always a reason getting in the way of getting my dream car. 

I hurt my back at work last week and spent a few bored hours on the sofa and happened to stumble upon a compitition page, advertising, you guessed it, a classic 1996 1275cc mini. tickets priced at £5.99 I thought why not, ill buy one. low and behold the same night, a mysterious number calling and BOOM!!! I now own my dream car in the form of my own little piece of mini history. Anyway, I am looking forward to getting deeper into the mini world and going to meet-ups again and finding new friends hopefully. 

Any hints tips or things to look out for will be really appreciated as my buddy was the mechanical guru, I was just the brawn  :D

#2 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 01:48 PM

Ah wow that's amazing! It was obviously meant to be eh! A mini for £5.99, not too bad!

What's the specs of it? Fairly standard? Guessing (as with many of these competitions) it's in fairly good fettle? What do you plan to use it for? I use my 2000 MPI daily on the school run/commute/shopping trips etc and love the thing (as do the kids!)

Happy motoring!

#3 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:49 PM

Thanks John, its a 1996 1275cc mpi in Almond green. Only seen pictures so far but it looks in mint condition. just had all the typical rusty spots removed and a full bare metal respray so excited to see what the last owner has done. loads of little mods done apparently. Planning to keep it for summer running and do a few car meets throughout the year with the occasional chippy run for good measure. looking for a good name for it if you've any suggestions, always named my cars  :-) I would add a picture but I'm still figuring out my way around the forum 

cheers, Ryan

#4 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:56 PM

Attached File  78F18B4E-BE4F-4052-9E78-30F4DD8A7A59.jpeg   59.47K   5 downloads

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:12 PM

Congratulations on the mini. Looks great.

THINK IT SHOULD BE CALLED SPOT...

I would say get yourself in toe with a local minimclub to utilise their vast array of knowledge and they will, I am sure, look after you for knowledge..

Alternatively we are always willing to assist with any questions.

#6 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:24 PM

Congratulations on the mini. Looks great.

THINK IT SHOULD BE CALLED SPOT...

I would say get yourself in toe with a local minimclub to utilise their vast array of knowledge and they will, I am sure, look after you for knowledge..

Alternatively we are always willing to assist with any questions.

Thank you, I'm a little bit in love already, quite like spot. 

I have a buddy that's had a mini for a few years now so he's keeping me right with groups on Facebook etc just now and hopefully get to know a few more people through it :-) I think Aberdeen or Dundee will probably be my nearest clubs but still getting the feelers out for that.

look forward to seeing you in the future hopefully 

#7 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:40 PM

Well as it happens... I am in Aberdeen........

Feel free to message me. I can add you to some chat groups if you wish.

Fair few events planned up here and always delighted to have a travelling convoy for South of city.

#8 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:46 PM

Well as it happens... I am in Aberdeen........

Feel free to message me. I can add you to some chat groups if you wish.

Fair few events planned up here and always delighted to have a travelling convoy for South of city.

Happy days, I just noticed it on your profile as I sent the reply. 

yeah I was on the AMOC Facebook page last night so hoping to make the run over the lecht etc. be nice break in run for my first outing.

aye by all means add me to any groups you think would be useful. always keen to meet new people with a similar interest

#9 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:54 PM

Welcome to the Mpi world! Looks great mate.

#10 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:26 PM

Congrats!

I saw this competition Mini and went through the photos, it looks incredible and you'll have a blast.  A mini for £5.99 !

It looks like it was a completely original, intact mpi before they added the spotlights, big wheels and aftermarket seats to make it "More sexy".  If I'd won it, I'd have been asking the competition people if they still had the bits they took off please!

#11 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:23 PM

Welcome to the Mpi world! Looks great mate.

cheers, looking forward to the journey, pardon the pun!

#12 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:29 PM

Congrats!

I saw this competition Mini and went through the photos, it looks incredible and you'll have a blast.  A mini for £5.99 !

It looks like it was a completely original, intact mpi before they added the spotlights, big wheels and aftermarket seats to make it "More sexy".  If I'd won it, I'd have been asking the competition people if they still had the bits they took off please!

I know, still can't believe it really and still got to wait a couple of weeks to pick it up. Could be the longest fortnight of my life haha.

Think my biggest fear is only seeing pictures and not knowing a history or previous owner but the competition company have been brilliant and kept me well informed. helps when someone can say it looks good from the pics and puts me at ease a bit. They said there are loads of paperwork and bits so hopefully some original parts. not sure if I'm sold on the spotlights yet but will see once I have it in front of me. 

#13 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:29 AM

Very nice, love the colour on that. My car's names always had some kind of relation to the paint colour (i.e. I had a GT6 in Emerald green so that one was "Emma"). Maybe Ally! (Like Almond), not sure how well that fits actually, haha.

Bet you can't wait to take delivery.

#14 Rysie84

Rysie84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:33 PM

Very nice, love the colour on that. My car's names always had some kind of relation to the paint colour (i.e. I had a GT6 in Emerald green so that one was "Emma"). Maybe Ally! (Like Almond), not sure how well that fits actually, haha.

Bet you can't wait to take delivery.

yeah I've been racking my brain for green related names and I've come up with Douglas as in Douglas Fir, similar deep green on the tree to the paint job.

Honestly like a kid at Christmas

#15 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:00 PM

never been one for naming cars to be honest but I know someone who used to have a green mini and called it the bogie lol that made me laugh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users