#1 minidave54

minidave54

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:41 PM

Hi guys, I am needing to replace a pot joint gaiter that has split.

So far I have removed the drive shaft from the car and taken the joint apart. I am left with the inner part of the joint on the shaft, and I know it's just a clip holding it on, but it's refusing to come off.

Using a drift and large hammer has got me no where. I have soaked it in plus gas rust penetrant hoping it would seep down the splines and free it up. But it didn't work and still refusing to move  :angry: .

Has anyone had a similar problem and how have you managed to get it off. Think I will now be fitting a new joint, so not worried about what damage I do to it.

Dave

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:50 PM

Sounds like it's been together a while.

It's a very similar set up to the outboard end with the clip.

Since you have it all off car, grip the shaft in a vice - I'd suggest using soft jaws here - aluminum or hardwood - and then with a drift, knocking the spider of the pot joint. It might take a good few blows but keep at it and it'll come.

#3 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:17 AM

You can make a drift from a piece of half pipe of a suitable diameter and grind down the end into a taper, alternatively buy or make a tool 18g1243.

#4 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 09:43 AM

Hi guys, I am needing to replace a pot joint gaiter that has split.

So far I have removed the drive shaft from the car and taken the joint apart. I am left with the inner part of the joint on the shaft, and I know it's just a clip holding it on, but it's refusing to come off.

Using a drift and large hammer has got me no where. I have soaked it in plus gas rust penetrant hoping it would seep down the splines and free it up. But it didn't work and still refusing to move  :angry: .

Has anyone had a similar problem and how have you managed to get it off. Think I will now be fitting a new joint, so not worried about what damage I do to it.

Dave

Had the same problem, removed the plastic cover over the end of the pot joint inner and beat the shaft out of the inner with a drift.  Removing the plastic cover gets to the end where the C clip resides and allows penetrant to get round the clip into the groove and shift the rust which stops the clip compressing.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:15 AM

We should mention, if it's only to replace the boot, it doesn't have to come off.  If you can remove the outer CV you can fit it from that end.

You might just need a bigger hammer!

Seriously, they're all stuck solid until they suddenly aren't.

#6 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 07 March 2024 - 06:45 PM

https://minispares.c....aspx?pid=36467

This is apparently the tool you need.

I have always just used crow bar and hammers.. gets the anger out....

If you are taking the pot joint out remember to drain the oil first....

Edited by bpirie1000, 07 March 2024 - 06:47 PM.

#7 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 07:41 PM

For most drive shaft joint boot replacements that come into the workshop I, and have for a considerable time, use the "stretchy" type boot.

These incur minimal stripping, are easy to fit and their longevity and quality is good, indeed compared to some of the rubber products available today I think they are superior.

In your case with the shaft removed and the spider stuck on the shaft for me its the way to go, you will not need the air operated stretching tool that is available but only the plastic forcing cone and if you are only going over the spider the cone could be shortened making the job even easier.

I have always used the Duraboot product, though I am sure others are available, and have found them good. I have found that when using this type of boot you have to be brave and push the boot over the cone in one fast action, no dithering, it will not damage the boot in anyway they do stretch. If the temperature is low I find warming the boot up before fitting eases the fitment.

I suggest this method only as an option as it appears the spider will not come off. 

#8 minidave54

minidave54

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:21 PM

Thank you all for the helpful replies. 

I think it has certainly been in for a while. I soaked it for a further day in plus gas an clamped it in the vice. I've been using a drift and a large hammer,  but it still won't come off.

Lplus, mine does not have a plastic cover, it has a metal one, and even that won't come off. Tried the same hammer and drift.

I think if I do eventually get it off, I will need a new shaft (or a good second hand item) as I'm sure it will be very corroded.

I suppose I could try some heat.

#9 minidave54

minidave54

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:36 PM

Hi weef, wish I had known about the "stretchy" boot before I started using the hammer and drift. I think I might have been too enthusiastic with the hammer and damaged the spider. I've also caused some damage to the end cover.

Replacing it seems the only option now.

#10 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 08:43 PM

No worries, if the shaft is damaged beyond salvaging then it will have to be replaced.

This information may help others who find themselves in a similar possition.

#11 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:21 AM

Agree with the super stretchy boots, the only way to go.
Sometimes belting with a hammer can put the effort in the wrong places, I have found even the most stubborn and corroded come apart with the pulling tool I referenced earlier. Mine is homemade but the commercial would be a wise investment.

#12 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:13 AM

There are different methods of hitting it with a hammer.Small hammer(woodwork type for best effect)held near the head and wildly flailed about.Or my method,large club type hammer held near the end of the shaft and heavy sharp controlled blows.Not saying you were doing it wrong.Steve..

Edited by sonscar, 08 March 2024 - 09:14 AM.

#13 minidave54

minidave54

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:34 PM

I have tried all sorts of hammers and drifts and it still won't come off, my conclusion is it's knackered  :angry: . 

Only option now is to replace the drive shaft and pot joint. So new items have been placed on order with mini spares. Hope to have it back on the road soon  :D.

Cheers guys for all the help and support   

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:33 PM

Bummer there mate.

If I can suggest, before fitting the Drive Shaft in to the Pot Joint, put a very small lick of light grease on the splines.

#15 minidave54

minidave54

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:21 PM

Hi Spider, good call, I'll apply some copper grease before assembly.

I generally use it on most bolts I fit to make it easier when removal is needed. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users