#1 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:40 PM

Here’s the story..

I was looking to buy a mini and spotted a light blue/silver coloured 1980 clubman estate. Listed needing repairs and was being sold by someone who sells/sold a few minis I’d looked at before.
Seems a decent chap so I made an offer blind as it was a long way off and got a deal based upon the fact I wouldn’t haggle upon viewing etc. (about £300 under asking price)

After a long drive and a trailer hire etc this was collected and paid for without fuss. The car wasn’t really what I thought it should be from its description but as I’d agreed not to back out I did the right thing and took the car away.

I spent a fair amount of money just to get it running over the next couple of days and driving correctly as I thought I’d lose too much money else as I’d decided this wasn’t going to be the car I though would be worthy of the plans I had.
Had I have tried to sell it as it was I just don’t think anyone would have bought it

So I bought the car and spent the money making it a little better and cleaned it up. I listed it at the amount it owed me and nothing more. I thought this was my best chance of finding the right buyer

To my amazement I got rude contact from the guy questioning why I was selling it on?!? Very rude.
His dad did contact me to apologise but I still don’t get the issue?
He wanted proof of money spent and made a huge deal about it

We aren’t taking a lot of money and the price increase was around £700 total. (Garage cost and trailer rental)
I didn’t add anything for fuel or advertising etc etc or my time out (took a day off)

The seller buys and sells minis so I’m at a complete loss as to what I should have done different? Am I to think he bought minis and sold them at the same price he paid for them? Just to help other mini owners? Over and over again?.

I thought as I’d bought and paid for it it’s mine to do with what I liked? Ask a million for it etc? and I shouldn’t have to explain my intentions?
Very very rude contact and persistent too

Has this happened to anyone else?
I’ve had a lot of minis over the years (I think I need to go to a meeting of other mini people who have too many minis and stand up in a circle of people lol)

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:50 PM

The guy I bought mine from was very insistent that he would only accept the offer I made as long as I wasn't going to 'flip' it

well at some point I am going to sell it obviously, nothing stays forever, to be honest my main intention was 'learn to weld and enjoy building a car' more than it was to invest in something I would pass on to my grandkids lol

I sort of understood what he was saying though I suppose, I think it was a sort of well I'll give you a good price because we've talked about minis together and sort of bonded over our mutual love of the car.  I suppose it would sort of be cheating him to do that and then immediately go and make a profit from it without doing any work

seems to me though in your situation the guy has just misunderstood what actually happened and when he calms down he'll think it over again and realise he's been a bit of a plum

Edited by stuart bowes, 23 April 2024 - 02:51 PM.

#3 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

Ignore and block - your car - your rules.

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

...the man is obviously deranged; best to just ignore him...

#5 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:54 PM

Listed needing repairs and was being sold by someone who sells/sold a few minis I’d looked at before.

Is he a trader?

#6 and90cooper

and90cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:54 PM

It was your car , you can do what you like with it, I’d have told him to bugger off😂

#7 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:00 PM

I like that you bought your car to learn to weld on, all power to you.

My costs were for a head and a carb, a couple tyres, an exhaust manifold plus a few bits n bobs including a head gasket ,a wheel bearing, fan belt and water pump, clutch master and a hose etc. I did the work fitting it myself

During my mini ownerships I think I’ve definitely lost a lot of money but I do try and minimise the losses else my wife would kill me if she knew what I’d spent lol

I have in the past bought several minis just for parts that they had fitted, the wheels and interior etc etc and then sold sold straight back out as this was the most economical way of getting the parts I needed. Never had contact from the previous owners though.
I just thought they were happy they got the money and could move on?

#8 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:01 PM

Listed needing repairs and was being sold by someone who sells/sold a few minis I’d looked at before.

Is he a trader?

Not that I know of no

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,046 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:11 PM

Say two words to him, the second one being 'off'.

#10 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:25 PM

Is he a trader?

Not that I know of no

To say here being devils advocate.. I don’t expect any wrong doing
My point was more about this wasn’t a car with sentimental value where we had any special terms imposed etc

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:39 PM

Buyers remorse, plus people don’t like their ego being bruised and someone else making money, when they missed the opportunity, or were simply too lazy to do the work.

My favourite saying, don’t worry for more than 5 minutes, what won’t matter in 5 years!

Edited by beardylondon, 23 April 2024 - 04:59 PM.

#12 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 05:59 PM

Buyers remorse, plus people don’t like their ego being bruised and someone else making money, when they missed the opportunity, or were simply too lazy to do the work.

My favourite saying, don’t worry for more than 5 minutes, what won’t matter in 5 years!

Do you mean sellers remorse? As in they feel they missed an opportunity for a better sale?

I certainly had remorse buying it but didn’t want that to be the sellers problem as I had made a solid offer and a promise to pay in full. This I did.

I love the saying about 5 minutes, that’s great!

Edited by Lowestoftmodder, 23 April 2024 - 06:03 PM.

#13 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:14 PM

Get it back up for sale for 2k more and send them a link to the sale.
If they enquire tell them the price is firm 😁

#14 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:15 PM

It`s a funny old world

I`ve sold some absolutely cracking cars and the people that know me know I have the best and if I had the room and eternal life I`d keep them but when it`s gone from me it`s gone and if the lucky buyer passes it on for a profit further down the road they can do so with my best wishes.

Many years ago when I would buy and sell a bit my most hated line from potential buyers was " but how much did you pay for it " in which I would reply " Less than I`m asking but that`s the game, are you happy with your purchase "

I sold a mini to a work mate many years ago for the princely sum of £100, he then sold it the next day to a friend of his that pestered him for it for £300.

He came to work the next day gloating about his score, I was genuinely pleased for him and congratulated him on a the good choice he had made as he wasn`t one for seeing a project to the end.

He asked me how much I had paid for it and when I told him £20 he got angry and said he would never buy anything from me again.

Like I said, It`s a funny old world  :D

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:29 PM

Sorry yes, sellers remorse, I was running out the door, and messed it up!

Do you mean sellers remorse? As in they feel they missed an opportunity for a better sale?

I certainly had remorse buying it but didn’t want that to be the sellers problem as I had made a solid offer and a promise to pay in full. This I did.

I love the saying about 5 minutes, that’s great!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users